A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 7 of 96 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Elements. Fantasy cards game

Bug with the 0.4 beta: I went into the deck builder, removed two cards, added two new ones, and now only 28 are displayed even though there are 30 in it.

I also note it says that rare cards will be available in the Bazaar - does that just mean *new* rare cards? Because there's a number of rares not listed there.
    Last edited by Bianary; 06-03-2009 at 08:13 PM.

I like the term "essence" better than "quantum". Quantum sounds too modern is anachronistic with a fantasy medieval/dark age setting. Unless the High Elves also knew Quantum Physics.
    Last edited by ktchong; 06-03-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks for the prompt feedback

The create new account functions should now work.
    (if you are using explorer it could be that the new file will take a while to update, unless you clear the temporary internet files)

I am now trying to find what's wrong with the "non-showing" cards in the manage deck page. It looks like the are there (as variables), they just do not appear...

Only the NEW rare cards are sold at the bazaar.

I am going to start numbering my suggestions:

11. During the training match, the first two dialog box says, "Most cards required a certain number of quantum to be used..." The second dialog box says: "Click on one of your cards to play it..."

• Regarding the formatting the second dialog box:

There seems to be an unintentional paragraph break between "Click on one of your cards" and "to play it."

Then, a paragraph break is missing between "to play it." and "There are 3 types of cards."

It seems to be a case of misplaced paragraph break.

• Below the second dialog box, there is an "OK" button. It is transparent and difficult hard to see. The first time I played the game, I missed that button and had to play through most of the training with the first two dialog boxes.
    Last edited by ktchong; 06-03-2009 at 08:39 PM.

Does clicking on the Quest button in the Quest dialog box do anything??

Hi, Great game. I've been playing a gravity/light deck focused on Otyugh's and Blessing. It seems pretty overpowered.
    I just had a look at the new beta version cards and they look interesting.
    I have found a few bugs.

I was playing in PVP and played against a deck that seemed to only have Aether pillars in it. When I won the spinn screen was going crazy. It kept spinning matches without my input. None of the buttons worked and I had to reload the page.

Next bug was I selected blessing acidentally when I had no active creatures. So I tried to activate a creature (Saphire Charger) while the blessing targeting was active. The game let me do that but I couldn't target my new creature for the blessing. So I cancelled the blessing and instead of getting the blessing card back I gotr another Saphire charger back.

My only other comment is it would be great to have true PVP against other real people. The computer AI is pretty good but playing real people would be more interesting.

12. Typo:

• "GravityShield" is missing a space.
    Last edited by ktchong; 06-03-2009 at 09:23 PM.

Gravity Shield typo fixed.

The player can no longer use cards while targeting (unpredictable combination).

The pvp function will start working after 50 players submitted their scores.

Corrected the extra paragraph in the training match guide and improved the buttons visibility.

The deck builder should now show all the cards in the deck.

The quest button should open a "Quests" box.

I tried the quests they worked well for me. It seems like a good way for a new player to get a bit of gold for one or two extra cards.

I just came across a bug in the beta version. The armagio gravity pull effect was not working. The special effect icon showed up on the card but the damage was not redirected.

Thought on Purify -- it's a single counter card. That means if your opponent isn't using an ability to specifically poison you, it's useless. So it won't go in decks, because you never know who your opponent will be. I don't think I've seen any other single purpose cards like that (That can't be generally viable) so I'd propose adding something like recover 5 health to Purify so that if your opponent has no poison you're not left feeling stupid for having it in your deck.

Other thing -- can a mute button be added? While sound can be nice, sometimes I like to have my own music playing.

In the beta any spell that targets a card in play is making cards in hand go blank making them unplayable. Or if you try to play them nothing happens and card goes away and quantums are expended. So far have tested with parallel universe, reverse time, steal, blessing and lightning.
    Last edited by Rogue1; 06-03-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Thank you for the bug reports...

I just fixed the spell target bug, it does not kill the other cards anymore, that happened because I was trying to fix another bug...

But now I have a new bug: if you cancel, the card is given back to you, but the cost does not display correctly, even though if you play that card again the right amount of quantums is subtracted... so, at least, it looks like a minor bug now.

This "cancel" thing is giving me a major headache, every time I think I finally fixed it someone comes and tell me something like:
    "I played a spell but, instead of clicking on the target I decided to play another card, then, instead of clicking 'cancel' I pressed spacebar, ALT+F4, ESC, ctrl+alt+canc together while I was clicking 'cancel' at the same time and I automatically won the game"

grrrrrrr

This has nothing to do with the game, but I've just noticed that your Pegasus has a horn.

So that is not really a Pegasus. It is an Alicorn.

An Alicorn could be either an Unisus (i.e., a cross between a male unicorn and a female pegasus) or a Pegacorn (a cross between a male pegasus and a female unicorn.)

P.S. Alicorn is also the name for the horn of an unicorn.

More P.S. Unisus is also the name for, unfortunately, a solo sex move. However, it is DEVASTATINGLY effective.
    Last edited by ktchong; 06-04-2009 at 12:27 AM.

hey zanzario, Just so you know I certainly appreciate your efforts in making a great game. I'm sure a lot of other people do too.

Quote Originally Posted by kethaq View Post
    hey zanzario, Just so you know I certainly appreciate your efforts in making a great game. I'm sure a lot of other people do too.
    Most definitely. It's one of the best flash games I've played, and I've played plenty.

I don't want to say it's the best, because it's a new game and I've just started playing it. Let's see if it has staying power. But even now, as it is still a work-in-progress, it's incredibly fun and addictive.

Ok, I found another solution for the target & cancel problem, I managed to lock all the cards and all the creature's skills while the player is targeting something, this way the only clickable things are the possible targets and the cancel button... plus any key on the keyboard, but with some luck that should have no effect as well.

The "mute" button is in the "to do" list.

... and my pegasus does not have a horn, that thing is his right wing, partially hidden behind his neck

Quote Originally Posted by ktchong View Post
    You should contact the Kongregate (or another flash game site) to work out something.
    Quote Originally Posted by icecue7 View Post
    It's actually already on Kongregate and a lot of other flash game sites.
    I was thinking about Elements as a Kongregate-sponsored premium games. Kongregate will fund the game's further development with anywhere from $20,000 to $100,000.

The current crop of Kongregate premium games are Kongai, Dinowaurs, and Zening. All three have exceptionally high production values, but IMO neither is as fun nor addictive as Elements.

Elements can integrate well with Kongregate's current optional payment system.

Here is how Elements could work on Kongregate as a premium game: players use real money to buy "Kreds" (i.e., Kongregate credits,) and then use those Kreds to buy cards or golds in Elements. (I myself have bought plenty of cards for Kongai. Actually, all of them that I did not have.)

For Elements, Zanzarino can arrange to get a cut of Kreds earned. Zanzarino can also set aside certain cards as not-for-sale in-game exclusives, which must be earned from playing the game.

Of course, a premium game on Kongregate must have exclusive contents. Zanzarino can just retool what he already has, design a new edition or version for Kongregate, and call it "Quantum", "Masters of Elements" or whatever.

As I know, a premium game gets extra exposure on Kongregate, and often receives more hits than a game that is available on many game websites.
    Last edited by ktchong; 06-04-2009 at 01:39 AM.

ahh, yes... I thought that was a horn was a horn on the pegasus too, but when I looked again I can see it's his wing. Thanks for pointing that out. Sometimes it's the little things that make a difference.

I've been reading the forums and it seems like there are a fair number of people who are interested in some way of increasing their odds of finding a particular rare card ( or at least I am). What do you think of the idea of being able to spend your extra gold for a chance to spin the wheel against a deck of a particular element?

For example I am guessing that there is one Fahrenheit sword out of about twenty eligible cards in the fire deck. So for that estimate there is a 1 in 8000 chance of winning it. If I had to pay 10 gold for a spin of the wheel against the fire deck my expectation value for winning the card I want would be about 80,000 gold. It would still keep rare cards rare but give people some small way of increasing the odds of getting the card they want. Of course you would have to charge enough gold so that the average value of the the cards that were won was less than the cost to spin the wheel.

The other main issue I see for people starting out is not being able to see what cards are being played. After playing for a bit it becomes clear what the computer has played but the cards do disappear very quickly. Some way of seeing what was played would be very useful. Maybe just a user click before the opponents cards disappear or some way to review what was played.

As I said before really great game. I think the potential for it is huge. It's definitely among the best flash games I have seen ever. So well done.
    Last edited by kethaq; 06-04-2009 at 02:12 AM.

Here is one thing I do not like about Elements: the sound and music (or the lack of.)

I am reminded of the wonderful music in the PC game "Lords of Music". The game itself was a "real-time/turn-based Strategy RPG" released back in the mid-to-late 1990s, made by the now-defunct Impressions Games. It was terribly buggy and forgettable but has a few interesting features.

However, I want to talk about that game's excellent soundtracks that are based on, elements.

Lords of Magic has eight factions: Order, Chaos, Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Life, and Death. Every faction has a theme music, which I think would overall work very well with Elements. Here are the soundtracks in MP3:

Here are all eight soundtracks packaged in a zip files.

The composer is Keith Zizza, and the soundtracks are available at his website. (No, I don't know him.) Zizza wrote on his webpage that the soundtrack was "freely distributable." If you enjoy his music, maybe you can get the permission to use the soundtracks in your game.
    Last edited by ktchong; 06-04-2009 at 02:36 AM.