A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 8 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Elements. Fantasy cards game

Also the spin and spinall buton are reacting the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by zanzarino View Post
    Also, it will be soon time for distribution: anyone has any suggestion about how to advertise my game (online)?
    Here's another way to give Elements a rating boost at Kongregate: launch a new, improved and enhanced version of Elements as the "Feature Game" of the week loaded with badges and bonus points. But before we get to that, IMO the title of your game title is a problem.

The first thing you want to let people know is that the current form of "Elements" is a work-in-progress. Often, we play a game, and if we don't like it enough, we move on... and never look back.

Unless the title tells everyone that the game is only a "beta" version.

Then, if we don't like the game, we will go, "Hm... this game has some problems, but it's still in beta. I'll check back again when it's done."

People have very different expectations for the beta and final versions of the game. When a developer uploads a game -- without explicitly saying it is a work-in-progress -- people are going to assume that it is the finalized version, and there is nothing more to see. Especially with Elements, which certainly looks finished and final, even though it is still a beta.

So, please add the word "Beta" to the title of your game at Kongregate (as well as other websites,) because that is what it really is.

"Elements (Beta)", or "Elements (0.4 Beta)", or "Elements (Beta 0.4)"

Then, post a discussion thread in Kongregate (and elsewhere.) Announce that you're working on a game, and it's in beta, but you've uploaded it and would love to have people test it and give you feedbacks. That should get get people to start talking and paying attention to your game.

Check back on your discussion often, add a reply or two, to let people know that you are listening, and to keep your thread at the top of the forum.

For your thread, come up with a good title, followed by a good message summing up why people should play your game. Your first message is actually marketing and selling your game.

Currently, I don't think anyone is talking about your game in the Kongregate forums.
    Last edited by ktchong; 06-04-2009 at 04:00 AM.

I'd sum up your games with these key points:
    • It's a collectible card game like Kongai.
    • The game provides a quest as guided training. (More advanced quests to come later.)
    • Play against other human opponents for ranking and cards.
    • Or play against AI of three varying levels. The toughest AI level uses decks and strategies from actual top-ranking human players.
    • Earn golds from winning challenges and matches, and use the golds to buy new equipment, creatures and spell cards at the Bazaar.
    • Additionally, earn rare and super rare cards from tougher challenges and matches.
    • New normal and rare cards are constantly added.
    • The game is in beta; so new tweaks, features and enhancements -- both major and minor -- are being added.
    Last edited by ktchong; 06-04-2009 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kethaq View Post
    I've been reading the forums and it seems like there are a fair number of people who are interested in some way of increasing their odds of finding a particular rare card ( or at least I am). What do you think of the idea of being able to spend your extra gold for a chance to spin the wheel against a deck of a particular element?

For example I am guessing that there is one Fahrenheit sword out of about twenty eligible cards in the fire deck. So for that estimate there is a 1 in 8000 chance of winning it. If I had to pay 10 gold for a spin of the wheel against the fire deck my expectation value for winning the card I want would be about 80,000 gold. It would still keep rare cards rare but give people some small way of increasing the odds of getting the card they want. Of course you would have to charge enough gold so that the average value of the the cards that were won was less than the cost to spin the wheel.
    I'm hoping that multiplayer against players will come with the ability to trade cards with them, then the rare cards being so hard to acquire will simply give them a lot of trade value -- but hopefully everyone will snag one or two of the really tricky ones, given some time. (Edit: That being said, a few of the cards like Fahrenheit are likely too rare even for that.)

I also think that if finding the problem cards and balancing them is desired, for a period an open deck beta or version might be good - unlinked from the stats (The way the current beta is), but all cards in the Bazaar for 0 cost. I see a lot of cards I suspect will be problems, but it's simply too slow to build a deck and find out how they'll work out. Of course, giving people free access to build a bunch of decks really fast does come with its own issues.
    Last edited by Bianary; 06-04-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Which of the new cards are the rare ones? Is it the ones that cost ~200 g?

I really like the rustler/fifefly queen combo. but if the firefly queen is going to be a rare card it would be a hard strategy to use.

A quick bug:

Fire shield seems to have problems, I have a Sapphire charger and two Otyugh attacking the opponent and none of the three take damage. Amateur guess is that it is two bugs, momentum negating fire shield and the base attack value of 0 for Otyugh negating fireshield even after they are upgraded. Unless Gravity don't take damage from fire?

Other than this small bug I haven't had any other problems, its a great game and I wish you the best of luck with it.

The spin buttons are now working properly.

The firefly queen is going to be as rare as the dragons, it will be expensive, but for sale at the bazaar.

Some of the cards that are now extremely rare are going to slowly become more common as more player use them in their decks.

Playing level 4 will be soon a good way to get those rare cards, the new rare cards are extremely rare for a while.

All cards are now for sale at the bazaar for the beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerpistol View Post
    Fire shield seems to have problems, I have a Sapphire charger and two Otyugh attacking the opponent and none of the three take damage. Amateur guess is that it is two bugs, momentum negating fire shield and the base attack value of 0 for Otyugh negating fireshield even after they are upgraded. Unless Gravity don't take damage from fire?
    Sorry for the double post, can't find an edit button.
    I just tested this some more and actually it is just momentum negating fire shield, intentional?

Quote Originally Posted by Bianary View Post
    I'm hoping that multiplayer against players will come with the ability to trade cards with them, then the rare cards being so hard to acquire will simply give them a lot of trade value -- but hopefully everyone will snag one or two of the really tricky ones, given some time. (Edit: That being said, a few of the cards like Fahrenheit are likely too rare even for that.).
    People are going to create multiple accounts and trade between accounts. Someone can create another new account, move all the excess cards to the old account, and sell them for gold coins.

I also think that if finding the problem cards and balancing them is desired, for a period an open deck beta or version might be good - unlinked from the stats (The way the current beta is), but all cards in the Bazaar for 0 cost. I see a lot of cards I suspect will be problems, but it's simply too slow to build a deck and find out how they'll work out. Of course, giving people free access to build a bunch of decks really fast does come with its own issues.
    I don't think it's slow to build a deck. However, it is a problem to build multiple decks of different elements, because you have to create a new account and start all over again. I don't know about you, but I don't want to start all over again and again and again just to try out different elements and decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerpistol View Post
    Sorry for the double post, can't find an edit button.
    I just tested this some more and actually it is just momentum negating fire shield, intentional?
    Yes, momentum bypasses all shields except the Dimensional Shield.

The only ways to bypass Dimensional Shield are to steal it or use a spell or poison directly on the opponent's HP.

Quote Originally Posted by ktchong View Post
    Yes, momentum bypasses all shields except the Dimensional Shield.

The only ways to bypass Dimensional Shield are to steal it or use a spell or poison directly on the opponent's HP.
    But the description of Momentum is that it prevents the damage the creature does being reduced, Fire shield causes damage to creatures attacking it so a creature with Momentum should still be affected?

Quote Originally Posted by ktchong View Post
    I don't think it's slow to build a deck. However, it is a problem to build multiple decks of different elements, because you have to create a new account and start all over again. I don't know about you, but I don't want to start all over again and again and again just to try out different elements and decks.
    What you're describing is a side effect of it being slow to build a deck -- if it was fast, it wouldn't be a problem to build a new deck with another element, would it?

What you're describing is a side effect of it being slow to build a deck -- if it was fast, it wouldn't be a problem to build a new deck with another element, would it?
    The solution to this is making buy cost = sell cost, then you just have a total value of your deck which you can use to put together various different elemental decks. The only money sink would be the 250 to swap base element, but you could try it out without doing that. I apologise if this is already like this, i haven't checked :P

Bug in the 0.4 beta (May be a live bug, but haven't tested it there): If you steal a dimensional shield, next turn when it decrements its duration it goes back to its owner.

Edit: Need a mulligan button. My deck has a reasonable amount of pillars but I just managed to draw a starting hand with none in it. I'd trade the entire hand to redraw 7 cards.

Edit2: Not sure if this bug was mentioned yet, after you win a card with the Spin button it continues spinning as if Spin All had been selected instead.
    Last edited by Bianary; 06-04-2009 at 03:36 PM.

I have been stealing dimensional shields and letting the AI steal mines for 20 minutes but it seems to work fine.

I am fixing the "spin all after winning a card" problem.

The mulligan is in the "to do" list, even though I am not sure how to make it work... pillars might be not necessary in the future, as other cards can be played without quantums or are quantum producers.
    Giving a mulligan option to players that use pillars as quantum source might be unfair to players that (not now, in the future) will not.

Also, that is why your mark is there, even without pillars, you have a minimal source of quantums anyway. I do understand however that it is annoying being forced to get rid of a good card during the first turn. I'll find a solution.

I've been reading the forums and it seems like there are a fair number of people who are interested in some way of increasing their odds of finding a particular rare card ( or at least I am). What do you think of the idea of being able to spend your extra gold for a chance to spin the wheel against a deck of a particular element?
    I propose a slightly different spinning system for winning cards. Here are the basics:

• Let's name the number of spins awarded to a player after every win. Let's called it "spin points".

• Each spin point allow the player to spin one slot once, instead of all three slots at once.

• The player can save spin points for use later.

This is how my proposal for the spin points would work:

1. Let's say you win an Advanced match and are awarded two spin points. So now you have a total of two spin points.

The three spin slots on the winning screen show: Fire Bolt, Crimson Dragon, and Fire Shield. You can spend all two points to spin one slot twice, or each of any two slots once; or you can spend one point to spin one slot once and save one point for later. But you decide to save both two points for later. You don't want either a Fire Bolt, Crimson Dragon or Fire Shield, and you do not have enough points to spin all three slots to get anything else.

2. You win another Advanced match and receive two more spin points. Now you have a total of four spin points.

The three spin slots show: Momentum, Vampire Dagger, and Gravity Shield. You want a Vampire Dagger! But only one slot is showing the Vampire Dagger. So you have to spin the other two slots and hope that they both stop on a Vampire Dagger. So you decided to spend some points to spin.

You spend one point and spin the first slot with the Momentum, and it stops on... a Gravity Shield! So now the three slots are showing: Gravity Shield, Vampire Dagger, and Gravity Shield. Now this is becoming tricky. Now you have a much better chance of winning a Gravity Shield, but you still want a Vampire Dagger. You have just used on spin points and have three points remaining. So, what do you do? Do you want to spend points to spin the second slot (i.e., Vampire Dagger) and hope to get a Gravity Shield? Or do you spend points to spin first and third slots and hope to get a Gravity Shield?

You decide it is better to end up with a Gravity Shield than nothing. Although you don't really want the shield, you can always sell it at the Bazaar for gold. And you don't have too many spin points to keep trying your luck on getting a Vampire Dagger anyway.

So you spend another point and spin the second slot with the Vampire Dagger, and it stops on a... Dimensional Shield. Bummer! So now the three slots are showing: Gravity Shield, Dimensional Shield, and Gravity Shield. You have two points left. Do you still want to spin? Or do you want to save the two points for later?

You decide to stop spinning and save both remaining two points for later.

3. You win an Elder match and receive three spin points. Now you have a total of five spin points, (i.e., the two points you saved and three points you've just won.)

The three spin slots show: Guardian Angel, Fahrenheit, and Fahrenheit. Who wouldn't want a Fahrenheit?? So you decide to spend a point to spin the first slot with the Guardian Angel. You spin. It stops on a Firefly Queen. You have four points remaining. You have to try and spin again.

The three spin slots are now showing: Firefly Queen, Fahrenheit, and Fahrenheit. You spend another point to spin the first slot again. And it stops on a... Fahrenheit! Three Fahrenheit's! You win a Fahrenheit card! Ya!

And that's my proposal for winning cards in Elements. My proposal involves some strategy for winning cards:

• It allows a player to save up spin points. He can wait for a rare card he really wants to show up, and then he will use his spin points.

• If a player is really conservative, he can save up all his spin points. He is not going to spend any point until two of the three slots show something he wants. Then he will spend a lot of points on hitting just one slot over and over again until he gets what he wants.

• Then there is the situation in which a player see one of the three slots has something very very rare that he really really wants. Let's say the first slot has something he wants. He spin the second slot, and it stops on something that the third slot. Now he has to make a choice: how much does he wants that something very very rare that he really really wants? Would he rather spin one or two slots? Would he spin the first slot and settle for whatever he can win? He has to weight the spin points he has against the chances of spinning.

So, there is more strategy and planning involved in my proposal for spinning and winning cards. Instead of spinning blindly, a player can actually plan ahead, save and invest to increase his odds of winning particular rare cards.
    Last edited by ktchong; 06-04-2009 at 04:47 PM.

I have been stealing dimensional shields and letting the AI steal mines for 20 minutes but it seems to work fine.
    I'm uncertain what it was, maybe the AI used a card to reclaim it -- but I was pretty sure it didn't, as it was neither black or fire. Whatever happened though, it ended up with a quantum shield again while the one I stole was simply gone. Maybe it just did something unexpected, and the history of cards played would have shown what happened.

The only other detail that might change things is that I had a fire shield in place for a number of turns before I stole the dimensional shield. So it went: Enemy played dimensional shield. I stole dimensional shield, lost my fire shield. Enemy suddenly had dimensional shield back, I had no shield.

The mulligan is in the "to do" list, even though I am not sure how to make it work... pillars might be not necessary in the future, as other cards can be played without quantums or are quantum producers.
    Giving a mulligan option to players that use pillars as quantum source might be unfair to players that (not now, in the future) will not.
    Ideally, the mulligan option will be viable for anyone to use to reshuffle their hand - put in a penalty when you use it so you only want to do it if you have a really bad start and are willing to start off at a disadvantage, and leave it open to everyone no matter their hand composition on the first turn.

Also, that is why your mark is there, even without pillars, you have a minimal source of quantums anyway. I do understand however that it is annoying being forced to get rid of a good card during the first turn. I'll find a solution.
    The mark is extremely slow, and doesn't really help with multicolor decks if you start with nothing at all. But the big problem was indeed the forced initial discard.

Also, you might give some thought to blunting the bonus for going first. Right now it's nothing but advantage - you get the same card counts, same essence, same everything available to you if you go first as if you go second. There's no bonus at all to going second to compensate for your opponent getting a chance to get creatures out and ready to act on their turn before you ever get a chance to take action.
    Last edited by Bianary; 06-04-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Sorry for the double post, but this is a new issue:

Mutation seems to be buggy. I used it on a Virus, and it turned into a 5/0 Spark with the ability Deja Vu. Fair enough. So I used the Deja Vu ability (Immediately, I assume that's intended as the creature had been in play) and it created a 6/4 Spark with Momentum. That was not the expected result.

Edit3: I also just had a Photon get mutated into an 11/8 Azure Dragon with Deja Vu, and when I activated that ability it duplicated into a 13/11 Azure Dragon with Infection. So the deja vu clone ability seems really, really buggy with mutation.

Edit4: Am I supposed to be able to use Photosynthesis multiple times in one turn? My mutation pulled up a creature that had it, and I was able to use it four times in the turn.

Edit: Also, the computer seems able to keep 8 cards without having to discard.

Edit2: A display issue, if an enemy has say a gravity pillar and two amethyst pillars and I steal the gravity pillar, then when it plays an amethyst pillar that will go in the slot where the gravity pillar had been rather than stacking properly.

Edit5: Okay, I just had a dimensional shield thing screw up on me again. The enemy played one, I stole it immediately. Next turn the enemy played a dimensional shield, and mine died. I guess the bug is that the stolen shields aren't coming over with any duration at all, and they should be retaining whatever they had left.
    Last edited by Bianary; 06-04-2009 at 05:09 PM.

With the spinner, if the first two cards you get a extra gold but not if 2,3 or 1,3 match. Is that intentional?

Building multiple decks is not that hard. just don't sell the cards you might want for another deck. I've own about 100 cards so if I decide I want to try something else out I am usually most of the way there already.

With the spinner, if the first two cards you get a extra gold but not if 2,3 or 1,3 match. Is that intentional?

Building multiple decks is not that hard. just don't sell the cards you might want for another deck. I've own about 100 cards so if I decide I want to try something else out I am usually most of the way there already.
    The really good decks tend to be focused -- that means you'll want 4-6 of each of the cards for them, to minimize their randomness and increase the chances of them behaving the way you want them to.

I have a fair selection of cards, but I rarely have the duplicates around that I want to put together a new deck and see how well it'll do with any certainty.