Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial for creating a very basic custom component from scratch using AS3 and Flash CS4? I am familiar with Jeff Kamerer's exhaustive article on Adobe's site, but it's really too advanced for me at my stage of development. I also found bits and pieces for how to do this elsewhere, including Flash Brighton, The Tech Labs, Adobe and Illumifi, but they don't seem to deliver the whole process using Flash CS4 and AS3.

I know how to create classes with getter and setter functions. What I'm looking for is a step-by-step procedure on something as simple, say, as turning a custom button that sends a trace message to the Output panel into a component, complete with:

1. Definitions for what all the options in the Component Definition dialog do (what the heck is "Edit Frame:" for anyway?)

2. What datatypes can and can't be made Inspectable in the associated custom class

3. How to get the custom component to initialize without using code in the .fla that uses it (ie, "myCustomComponent.render()")

4. What goes on each frame of the movieclip that gets turned into the component

5. Do you need to "Export SWF..." before you "Export SWC file..."

6. Detailed information about LivePreview

Any and all help appreciated.