A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Communicating with Another Program?

resolved

I'm trying to design a Flash Application which would interact with another application. Let's take the Windows program "Notepad" for example. Would there be any way to send text or variables to Notepad while it is running? For example, you open Notepad, then your Flash Application, then you click a button on your Flash Application and the specified text is sent directly to Notepad and displayed there in the window. Would it be possible to use getURL for this? For instance if the Notepad program's window name is "Notepad - Untitled", could you send text with getURL and set the window as "Notepad- Untitled"? I've used DOS commands to send text to a new file or existing file and also to open any file that has an associated program with it, but I don't know how to go about this problem. Any feedback would be great Thanks

Post thought

One of the ways Ive toyed with is creating an executable macro capable of finding a textfield copying the text and pasting to into another program.

Ive have some sucess, however I havn't spent as much time with it as I'd like. But it has plenty of possibilities.

There are many free macro creation programs capable of doing this.

If you have any luck I'd like to hear about your trials and tribulations.

Todd

It would be possible to program a command line program to do what you want.. but it would probally be way to limiting..

The true answer is custom programming of a flash viewer.. go Visual Basic if you know nothing about programming and or Delphi or C/C++ for proffessional programing.. if you are a programmer or can hire one

If it's a text file then Jsaver can do it... http://www.***********.com/software/jtools/index.htm