A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Masking external loaded image.

Question Masking external loaded image.

Hi,

I'm loading an external image to use as part of the background for each section (other section, new external image). But that image needs to be animated in, in a certain shape (I have created a kind of spatter animation).

I always use an Movieclip container to place my external images. So on one layer I have this container clip. I mask this layer with a layer on top of that one, which has the splatter animation (this splatter animation is not a movieclip, just some keyframes with the animation).

Everything works, except that the image is not loaded. I checked everything, maybe I put the wrong url or something. But nothing.
    So I tried unchecking the mask option. Ok... now my image did load. But as soon as I check the masking of that layer, again I'm left without image.

It seems to me that it has problems with loading images that are begin masked. How can I fix this? I tried google'ing, but few solutions were found. And I'm nog programer-guru. I use flash semi-design/semi-program.

Anyone know a solution to mask the image?

Thanks in advance.
    http://www.EyeEmotion.be/: just here to give you a nice treatment for the eye

Ө_ө sleepy mod
    Are you loading across domains? I know there are some sticky points but I don't remember if masking is one of them...to make sure you can try drawing the image to a new bitmap and using that. Also make sure you're setting cacheAsBitmap for both the mask and the maskee before assigning the mask.

Hi,

no, I'm not loading accross domains.
    I found a code similiar to the second part of your explanation and that worked. cacheAsBitmap is apparantly essential.

I think it's strange it only works that way through AS. It's a bit a shame for the us who mostly design and do less programm. Out of that code its explanation I also could read that apparantly you are able to use gradial masks. Something I always wanted to know.

Thnx for the reply.

Cheers
    http://www.EyeEmotion.be/: just here to give you a nice treatment for the eye