A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: buSY

buSY

I was at a wedding the other day taking some photos. When it got dark in the evening I started having trouble taking photos. I use a canon 40d. I kept getting a 'buSY' message after each shot. Now - I'm sure it's not taking ages to write to my CF card as the 'busy' message would sometimes appear as I was trying focus. And - it happened after taking 1 shot - not multiple shots which sometimes causes the 'busy' message as the buffer writes to disc.

It was if the camera just didn't want to take the shot. I usualy work in aperture prirority mode but I tried changing to manual and then eventually full auto.

Full auto seemed the most successful but it now means I have a load of shots just as jpeg - no RAW files.

Any idea what could have been happening?

Any tips on taking successful night time shots?

Also (and this is my fault) the batteries on my flash (430ex) died so I had to resort to using the on-camera flash. But -I dont see why this would cause all the delays in shooting.

Thanks.

I find with my XSi that when using the onboard flash that happens at times. I think it is the flash charging up. I could be totally off base with that but it is easily tested. Just go out tonight and take some shots with both setups.

I wish I had a separate flash but they are to damn expensive for me to justify buying.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

Well really the biggest thing with the new flashes like the 430EX II and 580EX II are the better recycle times and automatic metering. Just get a used model of the 430EX or 580EX or hell you could even get the real old school 420EX or just any old generic brand and just manual dial in the power settings. I usually use manual settings anyways with my 430EX.

Sorry I can't help with the busy thing. Only time I ever have to wait for my 40D(or even my 20D) is when I overload the buffer and have to wait for it to dump.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Hmm - guess it must be the built-in flash.

Going to get some new batteries for my 430ex and hopefully that will fix it..

if the flash hasn't recharged does it not just miss the flash? not sure.

Hmm, maybe but if it's too dark to take the shot wont the camera "refuse" to take the shot?

I'm hoping you use a tripod.
    You can tell if its buffer issues by seeing if the redlight on the aperture dial is on.

I normally shoot all my NightShots in Manual, just open the aperture and lower the shutter speed.
    Been a while since I was here! Might just stay around this time! | Check out my Deviations - all comments welcomed!

Quote Originally Posted by loydall View Post
    Hmm, maybe but if it's too dark to take the shot wont the camera "refuse" to take the shot?
    I should hope not! The camera should let me shoot 1/8000th f22 iso100 in pitch black if I wanted to. Infact I just shot those settings with the lens cap on and it works fine. Picture is a little dark.. but fine.

Anyhow I popped up the flash, and yeah, your shooting rate drops down to match the flash recycle time and 'busy' is displayed.

ok - so new batteries for my 430ex is the answer...

This happens to me even with a full charge. It just seems to depend on how "big" the flash goes off. Not so much a low battery issue.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

"Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna