A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Scroller working in IE but not in FF

Scroller working in IE but not in FF

I am trying to get a JS text scroller to work and its working fine in IE but not working at all in FF since I know nothing about this stuff really other then cut and paste I can't provide much information on what I think might be wrong if any one could look over the page and provide some feed back it would be very helpfull

http://www.tuy-hoa.org/memorial.html

Thanks for the help

John

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Wow man, wherever you got that code from looks like it was written in 1993. There are so many weird things and possible errors, that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

I really can't even tell what you're trying to achieve, but I'd recommend looking for something in the jQuery realm. There's probably a prewritten jQuery extension that does exactly what you want. Or if you explain what you want, I'll point you in the direction.

Yeah I’m trying to get it working for uncle and a bunch of Vietnam vet buddies. There not really those type of people pay close attention to W3C compliance, LOL. I've been looking at rewriting the page but with a more modern script.

http://www.johncliffordtaylor.com/scroll/

But I can't figure out how to git it to rezise and disapear at a certin point.

PHP Code:
    var speed=15// scroll speed (bigger = faster)
    var dR=false// reverse direction

// Vertical Scroller Javascript
    // copyright 24th September 2005, by Stephen Chapman
    // permission to use this Javascript on your web page is granted
    // provided that all of the code below (as well as these
    // comments) is used without any alteration
    var step 2; function objWidth(obj) {if(obj.offsetWidth) return obj.offsetWidth; if (obj.clip) return obj.clip.width; return 0;} function objHeight(obj) {if(obj.offsetHeight) return obj.offsetHeight; if (obj.clip) return obj.clip.height; return 0;} function scrF(i,sH,eH){var x=parseInt(i.top)+(dRstep: -step); if(dR && x>sH)x=-eH;else if(x<2-eH)x=sH;i.top x+'px';} function startScroll(sN,txt){var scr=document.getElementById(sN); var sW objWidth(scr)-6; var sH objHeight(scr); scr.innerHTML '<div id="'+sN+'in" style="position:absolute; center; width:'+sW+';">'+txt+'<\/div>'; var sTxt=document.getElementById(sN+'in'); var eH=objHeight(sTxt); sTxt.style.top=(dR? -eH sH)+'px'sTxt.style.clip='rect(0,'+sW+'px,'+eH+'px,0)'setInterval(function() {scrF(sTxt.style,sH,eH);},1000/speed);}
    window.onload addScrollers
    Any ideas?

That's still some real weird code.

What do you want it to do? Do you just want to text to scroll up all the way, and that's it? Or do you want it to reverse direction like that script it trying to do?

That's still some real weird code.

What do you want it to do? Do you just want to text to scroll up all the way, and that's it? Or do you want it to reverse direction like that script it trying to do?

just kind of like recreate there original site:

http://www.tuy-hoa.org/memorial.html

Where there is the "for those that gave there lives" and then above the names scroll up and then there kind of disappear like they are going behind something, now hes not increasingly picky so I'm sure if it just when up and went right off the screen that would work fine as well but what what I've been able to do with the ripped JS code where you can see it coming and then isn't really working out.

Thx for the help taco

Also this may be helpfull this is the about.com article that I ripped the code from:

http://javascript.about.com/library/blscroll2.htm