A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Do You Make Your Own Music For Your Games?

Thumbs up Do You Make Your Own Music For Your Games?

Greetings. The reason I'm asking this is because - like many game developers - I'm responsible for everything: coding, art, music, sounds etc..., and I would like to create my own music but I don't know how hard it is.

I'm not an artist but I use minimalist graphics so problem solved there. I'm also new to programming but my current game is rather simple. No problem there also.

However, the sound department a brand new world to me.

For those who create their own music but don't have a music background, how do you create some sweet tunes?

Do you just download some program, read some tutorials and mess with the program until something sounds ok or do you spend some learning the basics (notes and that sort of thing)?

I'm interested in creating my very own tunes and would like to know if it's possible to create some decent tracks with minimal research and a good software (which one you recommend)?

Arigato.

I'm also what I like to call a "self-sufficient" developer ; I do the graphics, coding, and music/fx.

I use FL Studio. It's easy to get started, but getting good at it takes quite a while. I only stopped using presets in some of my last songs (I mix techno just for the love of music mostly, not too much for games yet).

I'd recommend it...It's designed for MIDI sequencing...it's got a really good work flow for that kind of stuff. Plus the Sytrus and 3xOsc synths aren't too bad, plus some more.

Here is a link to my songs (the ones at the top are my newest) (My only "pro" sounding one is the top one...made it 2 days ago, paying attention to everything a bit more, and making all the sounds:
    DJ Svilans @ iLike
    Ambivalence takes a while to finally start up.

P.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

I'm trying to follow the same path but it's had to become good at one thing when you stretch yourself in several directions.

Personally, I'm more interested in 8-bit/16-bit stuff.

I'll check FL Studio, thanks.

flash absorption vessel
    I'll second FLStudio, ive been using it for many years. Adaptable to many styles, and support of 3rd-party effects and instruments make it huge...

I also have the problem of spreading myself in many directions! Gotta focus on certain things, and know that you can always get back to the other stuff. Do something well.

I tried making music but it's just way too nerve wracking. Is there some kind of site that offers free music? (loop music) I suppose using it for e-cards or mini games.

flash absorption vessel
    Have you tried FLStudio? Fairly intuitive and easy to get going.
    There are thousands of sites that offer loops though. Check the licensing info for what you need it for.

dmoz list - http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Music/Sound...les_and_Loops/
    nearly free - http://audiojungle.net
    Last edited by attunedesigns; 08-10-2009 at 09:44 PM.

whoever did the music for orsinal games is a genius! can FLStudio make anything like this?

http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/g3/cats.htm

if I could come up with little tunes like this i'd be in business!

flash absorption vessel
    Thats an extraordinarily complex game. But the music! Simple! Reminds me of the original Sims intro actually.

But yes FLStudio could handle something like that. Granted most of the performances are live. But piano, bass, xylo, horns etc could be programmed in.

Yay!

Will draw for food
    I'm pretty basic, so I use Noteworthy Composer and make MIDI files.
    If I want something fancy, I use Finale ... but that can be a bit complicated.

That's just be though. I've studied music for 14 years so I do everything by score. Garage Band does nothing for me.

destructor
    ive made beats for about 10 years.

i suggest obtaining Reason 4 to sequence synths and drums, in combination with Acid Pro or Fruity Loops to record and use samples.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Designer, Programmer, Musician angelhdz's Avatar
    Yes i always do. I love to have my own stuff, vector graphics, wallpapers, images, sounds, music, all mine. For music, i use FL Studio, and to record audio, Audacity (open source) and Adobe Audition.

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar
    I agree with the love having my own stuff xD inspired me to download FL studios 9 today xD very confusing

Designer, Programmer, Musician angelhdz's Avatar
    Hahaha! Is great, don't be afraid! The first time is like "What the..." but then "Oh, ok, nice one!". Is a complete sequencing software, you can produce any music genre, salsa, balads, rock, electronic, bachata, bolero, merengue, drum&bass, dubstep, etc. It supports a great variety of vst plugins like Edirol Orchestral, Hyper Canvas, Real Guitar, Steinberg The Grand...you can import your own samples, record voices and change pitch, tempo, fix it, tempo , volume, transpose events, a big and good looking Mixer console/panel (version 10) and .......wow, definitely IT IS GREAT. Need help? Contact me

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar
    Haha ok will contact you from private message, ima need to make sound loops for my game soon.