dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash video bad quality

Flash video bad quality

I created quicktime using Premiere pro CS3.
    I used high quality video camera Canon HV30.

I export video with those setting

Format Quicktime
    video codec H264
    29.97 fps
    None(progressive)
    24 bit color
    Bitrate(kbps) 138,240,000 ( best quality)
    I didn't set KEY FRAME DISTANCE

And then, I convert to FLV using flash pro CS3

On2 VP6
    Frame rate: same as source fps
    650 Kilobits per second
    I didn't set KEY FRAME INTERVAL

But the result is very poor,
    Here is my video with those setting

http://aslentrepreneur.com/taekwondo-team.html

Please help me to create high quality flash video!!!

you're going wrong already.

Don't encode twice, encode once. go directly from Premiere to flv. Either spend time encoding at a lower bitrate with two-pass enabled, or go for a higher bitrate with one pass enabled.

make sure that your camera is as high quality as you say it is. what compression did you import at? what cables/input are you using to capture? what res are you capturing to?

at the very least, you should export an UNCOMPRESSED avi or mov to the flash pro encoder, then you can be sure that you won't be introducing artefacts into the video unnecessarily.

To reiterate - I'm sure that H264 is fine as a final destination for video. but when you encode to a lower quality format using h264 as the source, you're bound to lose significant amounts of data due to the differing compression algorithms between on2 and h264. It's like making a photocopy of a high res scan of a really good quality digital photo.

Hope that helps - post your results!

Dan

oh, and incidentally, did you know that flash player 9 can handle HD video? you may be able to get away with streaming a high-bitrate, small-res H264 as a .mp4 file through flash, as long as the JW player supports flash 9 that is....

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_hin View Post
    oh, and incidentally, did you know that flash player 9 can handle HD video? you may be able to get away with streaming a high-bitrate, small-res H264 as a .mp4 file through flash, as long as the JW player supports flash 9 that is....

Dan
    How can I do that? Can you explain step by step??

Also, I want to know what is the best setting to export in FLV from premiere pro CS3. like bitrate, etc.....

1. that's a big issue that needs a site or tutorial all to itself. to test out that what I'm saying is true, do the following:

- create a new .fla file with publish settings for at least flash player 9.
    - create a new instance of the flvplayback component on stage
    - either using actionscript or via the component inspector, set the .source property of the flvplayback component to a video of your choice (eg .mp4, .f4v, .mov)
    - publish the .fla
    - run the .swf

tada!

2. It all depends on what you're trying to display. there is no right answer here.

To illustrate my point: a news broadcast online (static camera, hardly any movement, restricted colour palette) will require drastically lower encoding settings than a fast, quick cut motion graphics piece.

In order to find out the best settings, I'm afraid you'll have to experiment. I would start at a bitrate of about 350kbps @ 1 pass CBR, at half res and with plenty of keyframes and work your way up from there.