dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is there a player that plays FLV and SWF files?

Hybrid View

Is there a player that plays FLV and SWF files?

Hi everyone,

I currently have both FLV files and SWF files that are played using two different skins/players.

I play FLV videos on my website using the JW Player (http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/) and SWF files using the player that comes with Adobe Captivate for the SWFs.

I want to know if there is one player or skin out there that can play both FLV and SWF files. The JW player does support SWFs to a certain extent but they play as a video with no interactivity, ie. you cannot click on any buttons within the SWF. Is there a player that plays both with full functionality?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

why not make your own player which does that? It wouldn't take too long to code...

Banned
    If you have knowledge and experience on Adobe Flash and actionscript, you can make one to play them.
    However, for newbie, it will cost hours and hours to learn syntax and coding.
    If JW player doesn't support swf completely, the only way seems works is to convert swf to flv. On this point this software can do the conversion.
    Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Stephanee; 06-19-2009 at 04:48 AM.

Adam,
    There are many tutorials on the internet which teach you how to make your own player and skin. The one I normally recommend is here:

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/

which will tell you how to set up a video object, get it to play, and make some buttons with a similar functionality to the JW player.

Once you've done that (and believe me, the tutorials are very easy to follow) you can then work on making the player/skin work with SWFs.

Despite what "some people" would have you believe (no doubt in order to sell you some of their crappy products...) it really isn't that difficult. you just need to get your player buttons to call some generic methods, and then add some conditionals to differentiate between a .swf and a video file.

bear in mind that if you're doing this in AS3 then it will be slightly more challenging as the flash tutorials for most of the functionality are in AS2. If you need a hand porting to AS3 then I can lend a hand.

Dan

Thanks very much for your responses.

Stephanee - I have converted the swfs to flvs in the past but in this case it is essential that the user is able to click on objects within the swf ad this functionality will be removed when it is converted to an swf.

dan_hin - that website looks great. I'm going to watch the video related tutorials and try and build a video object and then the player.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again guys,

Adam

Thanks for the reply. I should have said in my initial post that the player will need to be embedded into HTML pages in which case a stand alone player like VLC isn't appropriate.

Thanks anyway.

Adobe Media Player plays FLV. I don't know if it plays SWF. I would assume it does.

And it's free from Adobe.