dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flixel - game library

flixel - game library

Didn't see this posted. Haven't looked at it myself, but the demo games have a nice 8-bit feel.

http://flixel.org/

flixel is a completely free collection of Actionscript 3 files that helps organize, automate, and optimize Flash games; an object-oriented framework that lets anyone create original and complex games with thousands of objects on screen in just a few hours, without using any of the Flash libraries.

This has been causing quite a stir in the indie world ( As opposed to the Flash one ) but like you I'm yet to look at it yet, just a quick glance at the autodocs and that was it.

Be interesting to hear from someone who's given it a good play.

Squize.

I've downloaded the code. It's very interesting and very informative to see how Adam has structured his games, and I'm very thankful that he put this out there.

That said, I'm not sure how useful it is-- the code is not as well organized as one would want from a general purpose game framework. Some specific complaints:

Many of the functions could be broken up into smaller, simpler functions. For example the main enterframe loop is around 400 lines long.

Lots of functionality has been put into a single, global "helper" class that handles sounds, keyboard inputs, bitmap loading, various physics functions, etc.

General lack of clarity on how the various classes and functions should be used or why they behave the way they do.

Again, obviously Adam has used this code to produce real games. But as framework for an outsider to use to write their own games, I don't think it's a good solution.

man that adam atomic must be a super genius
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    This is the first time that I've heard of fixel. I'll definitely check it out.

that lets anyone create original and complex games with thousands of objects on screen in just a few hours, without using any of the Flash libraries.
    Especially for this reason
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......

I checked out the docs, and from what I can get from a distant glance, it looks like just another flexibility/complexity limiter. I've never really been a big fan of premade frameworks, as it's usually a lot harder to accomplish exactly what you're trying to do, and even if you can do what you want, it's usually not the fastest way performance wise.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!