A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: FTPA018: How to associated a loadVariables to a keypress?

FTPA018: How to associated a loadVariables to a keypress?

Hi, There is this error FTPA018 given from device central that i suspect is giving my loading problem of a 'Embedded in HTML' flashlite content. In device central cs4 it gives this error: The call to loadVariables for <myurl> was ignored because it was not associated with a keypress.

Is there anyone have the solution for this? i have try associated the loading call inside a button.onPress function but it still give this problem (especially when using NOKIA E71 device to test.) Maybe it is because of this E71 profile is not really correct? but i have used forum nokia remote device access to test also giving problem to the loading. I didnt see any other error in device central only this one. please if any one have the solution please help.

Strangely this error seems no one have ask as searching in google yield not much usefull results. mostly just saying the samething device central is saying and didnt give a direct solution. (wonder whats adobe doing to help?)
    {?:?}

I'm having the same problem, let me know if you get anywhere with this. In the meantime, I'm going to have a look through the device profile in C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Adobe\Adobe Device Central CS4\Devices

there might be something obvious that controls this - that said its not easy looking through the device profile XML file though, let alone customising it sometimes!

One day Adobe will make actually changing settings in the actual device profile app easy to do and actually inside Device Central instead of mucking about with XML files and editing existing profiles to make up what you need, I find it extremely annoying making profiles for devices they havent provided when I do my own testing for specific devices.
    Last edited by derekcfoley; 09-15-2009 at 09:51 AM.

hmm... just as I thought nothing helpful in the device profile xml file...

<getUrl value="All"/>
    <loadMovie value="All"/>
    <loadVars value="All"/>

You'd think that means it should be ok. My app runs on a real device and loads content - so there's either another setting somewhere (hopefully) in the profile or there's a bug in CS4 device central.

Another possibility is the "security" fold down in device central on the emulator tab (right hand menu, bottom)

Anyone else noticed this problem?
    Last edited by derekcfoley; 09-15-2009 at 09:52 AM.

The official Adobe error message documentation is:

The emulator detected a loadVariables() function call, which is not supported by the selected test device and content type. No modifications are made to the device-specific SWF file--this is just a warning.

This would indicate that its device profile related, so there must be an obscure parameter that isn't obviously titled that controls this ability.

However in my trace log, this message is the one that is actually stopping it loading the local file...

FTPA018: The call to loadVariables for file://I:/work/test/config.txd was ignored because it was not associated with a keypress.

And yes I can confirm that this problem is limited to Device Central CS4 as it doesn't happen in Flash Lite 2.1 on a real device
    Last edited by derekcfoley; 09-15-2009 at 09:58 AM.

I've just done a text search through the device profiles for the loadVars parameter, and it seems there are only 2 possible values...

<loadVars value="All"/>

or

<loadVars value="None"/>

The device profile I'm using is set to "All", yet like you I'm having the same problem with the trace output in Flash showing this...

FTPS033: A Call to loadVariables(config.txd) found, limitations might apply.

And the app obviously grinds to a halt.

Possibly this is another shining example of Adobe's player development team kneecapping past features for the sake of security models methinks, just like they did for desktop machines a couple of years back - even though fundamentally any Flashlite app is basically a standalone player running as an .exe application that the user has chosen to run and obviously fundamentally allows access to the local filesystem and remote URLs.

like I did when doing Flash Lite development in the days of CS3, I think we're better off using Flash Pro 8 for this sort of work with Flash Lite 2.1 testing - true its more basic, but at least this stuff behaves like it does on a device.

Looks like Device Central CS3 does it properly too as well as Flash Pro 8's emulator, but not CS4's equivalent unfortunately

Until someone else finds a solution for us of course its back to the old software...
    Last edited by derekcfoley; 09-15-2009 at 10:05 AM.