A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: GameJacket is DEAD

Unhappy GameJacket is DEAD

Well, this was the one big fear I had about using a system that wraps your files and hosts them for you. GAMEJACKET IS DEAD. Now all Gamejacket games don't work. This is a disaster for not only developers, but websites who host many of their game files now have dead game pages.

It's unfortunate they couldn't balance their sheets without VC money, but I guess guaranteeing .50 cpm put them in an awkward position.

I hope Mochi is in good shape.

RB

(yes I know this was mentioned in another thread, but the thread title makes it sound like just another server outage).

PS: I got news as a portal/publisher via an official email. Squize posted a link to this news about it: http://www.casualgaming.biz/news/287...eJacket-closes

It's not dead, it's just sleeping

Yeah got the email too. Not great, but quite a few people have lost their jobs, which is far worse than me being a couple of hundred dollars light ( And who knows, if it goes into administration there may be some pay out with selling hardware etc. Hmmm I sounded a lot more mercenary than intended then ).

Squize.

That's pretty worrying. I hope the other providers aren't running on VC money.
    Showing ads and getting a cut should be pretty straightforward and easily profitable, I guess they could come back with costs cut back.
    Last edited by hatu; 06-11-2009 at 12:38 PM.
    http://hatu.biz
    Portfolio & games

It's getting the ad business in the first place, when even google is selling less ads ( Or at least making less profit from doing so ) it's not the healthiest business climate to be in.

Squize.

Yeah, you have to get over a certain fuzzily defined amount of unique pageviews per day before the decent paying ad vendors will even consider you, and then you need consistent performance after that.

The site my wife runs is just under that threshhold where we could get the decent paying ads, so we are stuck with the stuff that pays out very little. It means we need to keep our day jobs and slave away at a site that is lucky to cover a few nights out a month, lol.

It's quite unfortunate what has happened to GameJacket and our condolences go out to those who worked there and to the developers that have been affected by this tragedy.

I just want to reassure everyone that Mochi Media is just fine. In fact we have been making great strides in expanding our network and sales efforts. Here are just a few articles on our recent accomplishments:

- Adweek
    - TechCrunch
    - Yahoo

On top of all that we are working on new products to further empower game developers to get more out of their games. We're truly excited about this space and the potential it has for all that are involved.

I hope that we'll have a chance to work with you guys in the future.

Jameson
    Chief Mochi
    Mochi Media
    Jameson
    Mochi Media

MochiAds : The Ad Network for Flash Games
    MochiBot : Flash Tracking & Analytics
    MochiKit : Making JavaScript Suck Less

Yeah, you have to get over a certain fuzzily defined amount of unique pageviews per day before the decent paying ad vendors will even consider you
    Who are these decent paying vendors? I don't run a portal, so not up to date on these things, but are you talking about valueclick, tribalfusion and those, because I never thought those were much better than adsense.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMD View Post
    Who are these decent paying vendors? I don't run a portal, so not up to date on these things, but are you talking about valueclick, tribalfusion and those, because I never thought those were much better than adsense.
    They are definitely better. Especially considering they run a lot of CPM campaigns (meaning you get paid even if a visitor does NOT click the ad). Isn't that better than showing a text ad 10,000 times and only getting 10 clicks for a total of $1.23 ? ;-)

But above and beyond those networks you mentioned are the bigger fish who services the 1 million visitors / month type sites...

Even if Mochi goes to the deadpool one day (which I don't believe), the mochi games will still run (without the ads). I don't know if it's good or not for developers because they will lose money. But portal owners will not be bothered.

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    Yeah it sucks... Funny story though, I was showing my friends my game, and it worked, 5 minutes later I tried it again and it stopped working LOL..... weird.....

anyways, I had hosted half my games with gamejacket.... out of 2.....

w/e that sucks for everyone. Lose lose on all spectrums unless you sold your game to gamejacket, then you can sell it again I guess.... They gave my $500 for mine...

Nogoodnick....

I guess portals can just delete them in bulk, if memory serves me correctly only one author submitted all the files...
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

Xbox 360 Modding Controller PS3 Mod Paint Spray LED Case

Mochi and cpmstar are profitable I think, gamejacket wasn't. You can't guarantee .5eCPM for all traffic, that was epic fail right there.
    Flash Ninja Clan - Games and cartoons

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Yeah true, I guess they were using that as a selling point hoping that it would bring them enough clients which inturn would generate traffic on the games which would even out to .5eCPM.

Thats placing a lot of their business plan on hope.
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......