A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Race relations in America, the world...

Race relations in America, the world...

I know... the CL is the absolutely wrong place to start a serious conversation; however in a weird twist I got into a conversation with a non-American about the state of race relations in the US.

And it hit me... some people actually thought it would change for the better since we've finally gotten a minority for a president.

I didn't. In fact, I thought it would get worse. But it's really the same - no big surprise there either.

What's your take on race relations in your country, area or life? In mine... read above. About the same. I've ran into the same amount of good ol' boys as I have laid back people. And that's saying a lot since I'm in the South - historically the most racist area of the United States.

I would tackle religion... but man. That'll burn down the CL.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Many people in Britain believe that we won't have a black or Asian Prime Minister for a while, due to them not getting through at the earliest stages. In recent years in Britain, possibly true around the world, we've seen a rise of the career politician. Someone who leaves university and goes straight into politics, thinking they can change everything, as oppose to somebody who was a farmer, manager or businessmen who then got into politics later in life. These career politicians are the white middle-class somethingorothers coming out of the top university's in the country.

I believe that if people had the opportunity to vote for a party with an ethnic minority leader that had all the right credentials, they would and there would be few problems, but it's getting them to party leader that's the problem - the internal politics of the parties dictates that.

In Britain, we don't vote who is the leader of each party, the party members do that, and we vote for the party. It's screwed and we want it changed, but nobody's going to do that too soon.

See I didn't know there was a lot of black/white racism in the UK. Informative thread already.

It's pretty much the same deal here asheep. Our politicians are bred, not born. John "two America's" Edwards was correct. There's the ribbon of politicians, and there's the citizen ribbon.

@gerbick He's the ideal role-model, but anyone who followed the election should understand that a side effect of the coverage that led to so much pride also hardened negative perceptions.

IMO even fair minded people may carry lifelong reflexes. Permanent preconceptions can only be fixed with exposure therapy.

The KKK had made assertions that they wanted Obama to be elected, and the reason they wanted him is that it would give rise to racial tensions. The extreme minortiy that is the very far right which carries out such atrocities are being egged on by right wing shock jocks. It's not just racism it's all the baggage that the far right carries. Take for instance Dr Tiller being gunned down in his church during a service. Or the one man assault on a church because he didn't like that they were preaching peace love and happiness. Or the gunman at the holocast museum.

The far right pacified the extremist right when conservatives ran the government. The far right is inciting the extreme right, now that they no longer rule the roost.

I guess my lack of exposure to the good ol' boys limits my experience in the area, no doubt being white does too, and going to one of the top 10 homogeneous schools in America probably doesn't broaden my view, but due to the "middle-class white guilt" there, it's a huge topic of conversation.

Unfortunately I think it'll be fairly prevalent for a long time to come.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

</white power>
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    I believe ones feelings about race are largely form during childhood. With 2 key parts being the child's parents and the child's friends. As neighborhoods become more mixed I think you see a decline in prejudice.

I think it is also important to make a clear distinction between culture and race.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

There are areas where integration doesn't and won't happen, not just rural. Integration does not equate to acceptance. Birds of a feather flock together. People raised on fear and hate have a high likelyhood of deaming that as sop for grown up life. Which is why later life conversions are the exception and not the rule.

Hate breeds hate, hate raises hate with expectations of hate. It is not isolated to one racial group.

speaking as an outsider of US. New president so far seems like he is actually a part of this world. The prior presidents was a bit naive in term of international relations.

There isnt much racial problem in my country at all. We are just too laid back. im sure there are few dickheads here and there obviously, but never in the form of groups that would go around and hurt anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jujumon View Post
    There isnt much racial problem in my country at all. We are just too laid back. im sure there are few dickheads here and there obviously, but never in the form of groups that would go around and hurt anyone.
    Which country is that?

Thailand, The country is not really multi-racial perhaps but we do have other ethnics from various backgrounds also.

it's also true that tourism is a big part of our economy, but i know most locals do not see tourist as 'money carriers' but as guests. I also see few foreigners of different races who were born and raised in the country. They can speak fluent Thai language and proudly called themselves Thai nowadays. Well, if they are happy to stay in hot an humid country then they are welcomed to

*sigh* This is sadly, work-related for me.

Early life lessons teach us our perceptions on factors such as race and gender. It's a combination of where we grow up, what we're exposed to, and the messages we get from our parents. Of course, later in life, we either accept or reject these early lessons as we reflect on things.

You can have people who aren't "racists", but are uncomfortable around people of other races, because they grew up in a lily white area.

The lesson is that discomfort doesn't mean bias.

Do I think Obama changed race relations? Not really. I don't think anyone is "on the fence" about race.

The hardcore racists got whipped up about it, but you're not going to change many of their minds. They'll go back to being too drunk and ignorant for people to take them seriously. His election may change things for their children, growing up with a black man as president is one of those early life lessons that shapes perception.

We'll probably always have some amount of racism among populations, but we're at a point where it's deemed unacceptable, backwards thinking. I don't know how much more you can ask for realistically.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Each man is different. Colour of their skin, should it make a difference?

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeatsuite View Post
    Each man is different. Colour of their skin, should it make a difference?
    Should it? No. Does it all too often still do? Yes.

Alex Grey worded it in a way I forget exactly now but he was explaining why he paints the way he does. He talked about how all human kind is the same and looks the same throughout our entire bodies structure until the last layer is added and that layer is our skin and that is where all the hate and war comes from. If we could all just look through each other the world would be a better place.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna