A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do You Draw Your 2D Sprites?

Talking How do You Draw Your 2D Sprites?

Hi all,

Just some quick questions: where do you make your game's sprites/art?

Do you just use Photoshop/MS Paint/Gale and import it to Flash or just draw there? And which is better for overall game performance: bitmap or vectorial?

Also, I have been trying to draw simple pixel stuff on Flash, I can do a 16x16 grid, but the only way to fill each square is by drawing a shape (square) which is a tedious process.

Is there a way to use the pencil tool to fill up each cell of the grid with just one click?

Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, wrong forum.

I use Photshop but its not really meant for pixel art. You could use some free software instead, for example http://www.axiomx.com/PixelToolbox/

Doing complex sprites is bad idea because Flash will need to redraw each of those tiny boxes at every frame and it could reduce the speed. You should use imported bitmaps instead.

I use i.Mage (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/image.html), it's a really great utility for making pixel art for free... it also shows you a realtime preview of your painting when you are in zoomed view, that's really helpful!
    If you like me, add me to your friends list .

PS: looking for spriters and graphics artists for a RPG and an Arcade fighting project. If you can help out, please pm me!

My Arcade My Blog

Add me on twitter:

Thanks for the input.

I downloaded GraphicsGale but I have yet to try it. Yes, PSD seems a little overkill.

I'll check those programs.