A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: DIY Panoramic 35mm Camera

DIY Panoramic 35mm Camera

Ok... so my Demi Digital never really took off for various reasons and this summer I have a whole new project that I seriously want to complete.

If you have ever seen a Hasselblad Xpan and the images it creates, well this is basically a copy of that camera only using large format lenses.

Here is a link to the page that gave me the inspiration, I plan to do pretty much the same but I think I will try to use a lens with a larger flange-focal distance (which is the minimum distance required between the lens mount and the film plane for the lens to focus to infinity) so I can fit a focussing mechanism in there.

I was surprised to see that he used quite a sought-after Nikon F2 for his project, I can see no reason why you can't use a cheaper camera body. The wind on mechanism is probably the most fault-proof in a camera.

I shall post my progress.
    Last edited by robbmcaulay; 06-30-2009 at 02:44 AM.
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

That's awesome! Can't wait to see it when it's done and the resulting images.

I actually saw a cardboard Polaroid camera on someones flickr. I would love to have that in my collection.

Also:
    Pictured above is a Nikon F2 stripped down to the essentials. (All Nikon F2 lovers please forgive me! I swear this camera was already broken before I took it apart.)
    So maybe search ebay for a broken body?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna