A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3D models intergration:

3D models intergration:

Hi guys, first post here, I'd just like to introduce myself and say thanks in advanced for any help I receive, I too hope I will be able to answer some question on this forum here in the future

About my project.

I'm starting a specialized Flash website... I would like to try something that has never been done before, I think at least...

I have been inquiring about the use of 3D models integrated into a flash page in where the 3D movement of the model, for example an earth globe or someone's face "Model", is controlled by the users cursor with the model moving in the direction of the cursor constantly

The next part of the programing/animation would be when the user then clicks on a link on the other part of the page and this would then be followed by (what I call an exit animation) a click on link in which a general animation like a rocket being fired from the globe in the direction of the link happens.

Now I know some heads here are probably rolling thinking this cannot be done or yet very easily or am I wrong...
    I talked to my adviser and he was unsure of a 3D integrated model working, but suggested-

Using Movies of the head for eg. rendered in the different directions, the cursor would then move in that direction and then the appropriate movie(already loaded) starts playing.

This would basically mean in the different directions you'd choose to move in the scripting would direct which movie to play at the same time OR in simple words, a separate movie for each link and say there are 8 links scattered on the page.

I would like to hear peoples thoughts and if I'm barking up the wrong tree with this project.

Much thanks,

Well, it depends how detailed this head is. If you want some flash 3D used in your application that shouldn't be a problem if you aren't running super high poly-count models.

I always show people this to let them know what flash can do in 3D (if you have an amazing engine design team)

http://alternativaplatform.com/en/alternativa3d/

Thanks for the reply, Could you give me a rough estimated poly count and a kick in the right direction how to accomplish something like this?

Cheers

Well, I'd start by researching the alternativa platform. They are probably one of your best resources for getting a 3D set up rolling.

If the licensing is problematic with them, then check out papervision and away3D.

For polygon count, it varies from engine to engine, but I'd say you can get away with a single 500-600 polygon object (this number increases if you are working with "rooms" etc). This number I gave you is probably the max polygons you can have visible on the screen at once while still maintaining somewhere like 10-20 fps.

I'm not 100% sure that I'm 100% correct. I gave you those numbers based on what I've been able to accomplish with my own engine so far :P. Those engines may handle more.

Oh and for clarity: when I say poly I actually mean "face" (A single one sided triangle)