A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Running a business locally with XAMPP?

Running a business locally with XAMPP?

Hey,

Didn't quite know where to put this so here it is...

I know a few small businesses that would benefit from some form of computer automation with regards to their books and the way they run their business.

I was wondering, would it be practical/safe/logical etc... to install a copy of XAMPP on a computer in their work place, then via the hosts file (?) allow it to be accessed by any other computers (if applicable). Then when this is set up i could develop them a simple 'website' that incorporates MySQL to save and access their work records, to save on paper / hassle.

What do you think?

Cheers,
    Chris

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Safe? Sure. As safe as any normal Apache set up. The security comes from how you configure your firewall and users and stuff. The common sense stuff.

XAMPP is excellent to get up and going quickly.

I was thinking, as long as the internal system can't be accessed from the web, then it's extra safe.

Hmmm... Veerrryyy interesting

Anyone done anything similar? Using XAMPP for less than strictly website-orientated projects? e.g. digitising daily paperwork?

Too slow if you want speed and reliablity go with LiteSpeed

There is an ideology that things that are free aren't as good as those that cost money (especially in a business environment) If you tell customers it's worth the cost 9 times out of ten they'll believe you.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    We've used WAMP to build a couple of internal record systems. We have one that's been up since 2006 and it's still running great with no problems.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.