A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Google OS – and this time, it's real

Google OS – and this time, it's real

Google targets Microsoft with new operating system The Guaridan

Google has issued its clearest challenge to rival Microsoft so far, by announcing its plans to create a new computer operating system aimed at laptop users.

The Californian internet company said it is working on a lightweight system that is based on the Chrome web browser it launched last year.

The first version of the system, which will be targeted at netbook computers - the small, portable laptops that have become popular in recent years – is due to be made available in the second half of 2010.

"Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS," said the announcement. "We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds. The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way, and most of the user experience takes place on the web."
    Introducing the Google Chrome OS

Sounds like it could be awesome but just like everything else Google related my concern lies in how much information one company is going to have about us.
    mmm signature

unicorns and google don't mix.

lord... so many people are getting this so ****ing wrong, it's sickening.

Chrome OS is just simply a wrapper around the browser to bring the Google Apps to the desktop. Not an OS replacement. Not a Windows destroyer. Not a Mac OSX competitor.

But a way to get some **** on a netbook to boot faster and won't be out until later 2010. Not a GodOS either.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

What about a GLaDOS?

Go+os = goos?

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis F5 View Post
    What about a GLaDOS?
    GLaDOS is a lie.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis F5 View Post
    What about a GLaDOS?
    Do you know it took me a moment to realize what you were talking about?

I was thinking it was a spelling error and trying to figure out what part gladys knight had do to with operating systems.

It's not half bad, I've been testing it for the last few hours via VMWare image... but there's a lot of room for improvement before it launches in 2010.

This might end up on my OQO 01+

So how fast is photoshop running on it?

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN View Post
    So how fast is photoshop running on it?
    Photoshop.com works just great.

I can see its uses, it should certainly make the whole netbook thing a lot more interesting.

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Launched it in VirtualBox. Used it for 5 minutes, got bored. It's just a glorified web browser, and I'm using the term "glorified" generously. I can see a basic use for a few niche people with netbooks, but that's it.

Android rocks!
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

Yeah I think they should of made a mobile version and a desktop version of Android. That would have been pretty sweet.

Chrome OS is just another reason for people to use their software since it's all web based anyways. It's open source but I feel like they will keep it very tightly sealed.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I like how they (and every other OS maker) brags about how fast it boots. Does anyone actually boot their computer when they need to use them anymore? I just let it go to standby (by closing the screen on my laptop), and then I wake it up again when I need it, which takes less than 5 seconds. And I have a 9 year old operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by ihoss.com View Post
    I like how they (and every other OS maker) brags about how fast it boots. Does anyone actually boot their computer when they need to use them anymore? I just let it go to standby (by closing the screen on my laptop), and then I wake it up again when I need it, which takes less than 5 seconds. And I have a 9 year old operating system.
    I think they're hoping to encourage you to save battery life, thereby not needing to take a charger out with you.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendIsATaco View Post
    Launched it in VirtualBox. Used it for 5 minutes, got bored. It's just a glorified web browser, and I'm using the term "glorified" generously. I can see a basic use for a few niche people with netbooks, but that's it.
    The netbook market is very far from niche. Most people don't need huge amounts of RAM nor even huge hard drives to do what they need... view the internet, share a few stupid videos with their friends via e-mail and do minor tasks like... annoy other people via IM, et al.

For a large sum of non-programmers, non-designers and non-professionals, the need for something that's quick to access the stuff they want to see online, or play online is a need that is ever-growing.

With that said. I agree. This is nothing more than a very thin Linux shell underneath a glorified web browser.

Chrome on a USB key. Anyone tried it this way yet?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/24/c...et-used-to-th/
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna