A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Exactly7 - New portfolio

Exactly7 - New portfolio

Hey guys,

I have just uploaded beta version of my portfolio for employers.

I will for sure add more details, but if you guys can give any suggestions it would be awesome.

http://exactly7.com/

Thanks in advance,

Alex
    Get me out of this air-conditioned nightmare...

Very impressive - slick and professional portfolio. However, I have a couple of comments on the usability of Mr. Lykhovoy's site:

Make the navigation more obvious. He is going to lose customers. Subtlety can be beautiful but it is the marriage between form and function that is true artistry. When you first enter the site, younger or more savvy users may know to hunt around to roll over his name to click to enter the site, but why limit his potential pool of clients? Older people who are not as computer/internet savvy have the money to hire him or purchase his work may get frustrated and not know how to get to it.

Even those who roll over his name may see the underline and think - "Oh, that's just his e-mail. Why would I e-mail him if I can't see his work?" and then not click on it.

If they can't see his site, they can't get the most out of your portfolio either.

Your artistic sense is right on, but I would think about usability for a wider audience a bit more.
    Steve Norris
    President
    Norrisoft
    www.norrisoft.com

Thanks, I will definitely look into Mr Lykhovoy's site later on.

That is a good point about the enter site button. I was actually recently thinking of that myself.

Anymore comments. I'd like to hear some negatives about the site? Anything you think should be changed? and Why.

Thank in advance
    Get me out of this air-conditioned nightmare...

I agree with the above, unless Eugene Lykhovoy specifically wanted that splash page. I like the portfolio in general, although it felt odd to me that the button with the current page had its text covered up. I noticed a couple of seconds later that the same text appeared as the page title on the right. Also make the button rollover activated by rolling over the entire rectangle that changes color rather than only text. I as well found the smaller font harder to read since its embedded and is anti-aliased by Flash. Maybe make it larger or use a device font which is common.