A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Top-View racing game engine

Top-View racing game engine

Hi guys!

I am a 10+ years exp web designer, front end developer.

Right now I have planned some interesting project to develop on my own.
    It would be based on flash racing game.

I have just one "small" problem.
    I cannot find any nice and clean open source flash racing engine to start with.
    I am a web designer, so i am not able to do hardcore AS, but could do some small changes and could do hardcore graphics.
    Engine should include just essential key features. All graphics could be just a square boxes (or round boxes - as you like ), i would "dress" an engine up later...

Key features would be:
    Car. (always stands centered on x and y axis on swf).
    Racing track - when car is moving, racing track with its objects is actually moving, as car stands on its place - in a middle of swf object. (would be made of bunch of movieclips. each movieclip would have its individual weight (and design - bitmap), so when car hits it, it could reflect collision depending on its wight. All hitted elements would react, as it happens physically in real world.
    A point of finish line. When finish line is reached, time is stopped. Minutes, Seconds, miliseconds.

If anybody could help me with creating such an wireframe engine...
    I could offer to make outstanding graphics for created racing engine and we could both use that game as we find it best.
    I'd develop my planned site and could also include copyrights of who made game engine done.

If anybody could be interested, please drop a line here, I will provide you with my email via PM.

Any questions - you are very welcomed to ask them here!

Thanks in advance!
    Have a nice day!
    May The <b>Source</b> Be With You!

You probably need full physics engine for realistic car collisions. Box2D is popular open source Flash physics engine.

Hey, thanks! Did not know about Box2D! Will take a good look!
    Anyways, if anybody would like to participate some how - you are very welcome!

Flashkit has already such an engine ready ( http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...t=box2D+racing ). Maybe you can send a PM to him.

Hey, thanks.

Yeah, I have found this thread before. Great work there. No doubt.
    But, i don't know why - I have such a feeling that asking for that engine would not have results. But - I will send PM RIGHT NOW!

Thanks, Sietjp!

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    haha, well I generally reply to most of my messages... just not always with a yes..

Why dont you post some samples of your "hardcore graphics" as you never know, if you are good enough a designer I might use YOU on my future car games.
    Regards Mark Fennell - Flash Kit Founder, general loiterer
    -------------------------------
    I Hate Zombies - iPhone Game | markfennell.com

Don't get me wrong, but since you are mostly a graphic artist, and have little knowledge of actionscript, Box2d isn't the thing you would want to start out with! First follow this tutorial:
    http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2007...game-tutorial/

Once you understand it completely, create something on your own, and then come back here! We will always help you if you have problems understanding something or get stuck in the middle!
    If you like me, add me to your friends list .

PS: looking for spriters and graphics artists for a RPG and an Arcade fighting project. If you can help out, please pm me!

My Arcade My Blog

Add me on twitter:

Flashkit - sent you a PM, thanks!

bluemagica - thanks for box2d point. it might be so, I do agree. had no time to check Box2D as I am a mac user and as far as I looked up there ain't no compability with macos... Have to have some Win machine
    I have found and studied given tutorial. Must say it is best avaliable top-view racing tutorial. Unfortunately, it does not have most of essential features I would love to have... As a second point - AS is not really thing I like. Numbers do not inspire me... Designers soul, you know... That's why I would need somebody's help.

Game

Hi,
    I have to make flash racing game in 2 weeks, and i did not found any suitable free engine for it. Thats why i am going to create my own one (probably Box2D). I can have it done within few days. After that I need somebody to create graphics and levels (i will make some drag-n-drop level creator). Are you still interested?