A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: My first website, let me know what you think.

My first website, let me know what you think.

Hi,

This is my first website and it is for my own business. It's not completely finished yet but hopefully will have all the content added by the end of next week.

www.functionandform.com.au

Thought I'd put it here to get some expert advice. Layout, spelling, grammer, colours, functionality and ease of use...

... all feedback welcome.

Once it is completed I will re-submit to get a final review.

Thanks for all your help/advice.

WB
    Last edited by grooveepants; 07-17-2009 at 07:18 AM.

I like it so far. the only thing i do not like is the sound. and i don't mean the sound is not good or anything, i just don't like any sound on any site, not even for button rollovers. some people will find the sound impressive, others will find it annoying. i'd say compromise on it and cut the sound volume by 50%.
    Last edited by HatsOff; 07-17-2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: cauz ma spellin

I like it, it's great. Keep up the great Work.

I agree about the music. Very loud. But I wouldn't get rid of it as it might be a selling point for potential customers in your business. Do make it quieter though, more ambient or something. I really like what you did with the page flip animation. Did you do that in Flash? It looks very crisp, so I would guess yes, in which case it's very impressive for a flash animation.

I agree, I don't like music on websites either but I thought I'd be a sheep and follow the flock as most websites now have music. I actually got the loop from here - flashkit.com

I have reduced the volume to 25%, let me know if it needs reducing even further or if it is too low.

I have also added a "recent news" button on the home page, not sure if it is noticed or not (top right hand corner under the main menu). I know it's there so I look for it but I don't know if the general public will.

Let me know if it needs to "pop out" more to make it noticed.

Thanks for the feedback so far, it's appreciated.

WB

I really like the animation of the white paper - very smooth and realistic movement.

With regards to the recent news button - I personally think it's not easily noticeable and at first I totally misseed it - I would put it in the main menu up top after the HOME button!

Excellent work and photography.

So far there has been 160 views of this thread but only a couple of people left feedback.

What is the point of this forum if no one leaves feedback?

as good as it looks, it would be nicer if it was centered properly. You shouldn't really have it scrolling horizontally.

You could maybe have the swf adjust to the screen size and then use 'no scale' to keep the main content the right size but in the middle.

Also the background gradient looks horizontally striped like maybe it was made with photoshop instead of flash but that could just be my monitor.

good work! the transitions are cool but sometimes a little lengthy

looks good dude. how'd you get the scrolling paper animation? is there a tutorial for that somewhere?
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

I get a vertical scrollbar
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The sites really nice, for anyone wondering on the paper effect, there are a **** load of downloadable FLAs to achieve paper transitions like that on flashden.com I have use them in the past.

One thing which was bugging me was on your splash screen I remember thinking how lovely and clean your logo was, really nice typography then when you go into your flash movie, you have lashed a disgusting drop shadow on it when there really is no need, trust your logo design alone, its a gorgeous logo, it doesnt need a shadow to lift it.

Quote Originally Posted by pickers2win View Post
    The sites really nice, for anyone wondering on the paper effect, there are a **** load of downloadable FLAs to achieve paper transitions like that on flashden.com I have use them in the past.
    thanks, i figured that. i've seen it in hundreds of websites and figured that was the case or there was some popular tutorial out there everyone was using.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

Simple and clean. I think you can work more on the typography on each page. Title, footer info, etc. I don't like the news pop up either... makes it look different than the other pages.

-NITIN ANAND-
    http://www.nanand78.com
    :::::::::: HTTP://WWW.NANAND78.COM ::::::::::

really good work, I like all the small animations you have and the fact you have a non-flash version for people with slow computers

Very nice us of Flash10. I'd suggest, like many others have, getting rid of the audio though.

very user friendly , like it , exactly to the point.