A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: guitar hero .fla??? pls help

guitar hero .fla??? pls help

hey guys im doing a site for a drummer and i would like to know if any 1 knows of an open source guitar hero rip off game that i could use and edit to suit my "drummer hero" needs..

Don't know about open source...did you google it? Frets on fire is the only other one I've heard about.

can some one help me get the ball rolling,

i need help just registering the hits at the right point lets say 4 basic spheres scroll from top to bottom and at a certain point if the user hits the corresponding key it registers the hit by giving a point.... perhaps 1 point if the user hits it a little to early or late and 2 points for an exact hit. and a -1 if the user misses the key all together

from this it shouldn't prove hard to play a sound bite if the user hits it correctly... then its just a matter of throwing in some background graphics and a backing track.

any help would be much appreciated, and at the end of this i am more than willing to release this as an open source project that can be freely edited, used, and built upon....

See if this helps;

I've wanted to make a Rythm game for some time now so I'll try to help where ever I can.

Rythm Game Tutorial
    In the process of designing a quirky little game engine called gulp. Check out it's progress below: @ my blog.

---

Check out my blog at XenElement.com

I've seen this done with a multi-dimensional array for each song.

PHP Code:
    song1:Array = [
    [
    0,0,0,0],
    [
    0,1,0,0],
    [
    0,0,0,0],
    [
    0,0,0,0],
    [
    0,1,0,0],
    [
    0,0,0,0],
    [
    0,1,0,1]] 
    Each array inside the song array is "1 second". the 0's are blank spaces, and the 1's are dots (when you want someone to press the button)

A timer tics every second and goes thru the arrays one by one, updating predetermined dot positions on the screen (think tetris). If a dot is over the hit area and user presses a button, he gets points.

XenElement that tut is AWESOME im not that great in AS3 but i will def get cracking on that and see what i can see, ill keep you posted..

and PRadvan that sounds like it could def work, do you have an example i could look at?

Glad I could help, I just found it while surfing and it seemed like it was good.

I was originally inspired to make a guitar based game, but never got around to it.
    I've got a bit of experience with OOP AS3 so it you need any help just post again on this thread.
    In the process of designing a quirky little game engine called gulp. Check out it's progress below: @ my blog.

---

Check out my blog at XenElement.com

Quote Originally Posted by PRadvan View Post
    I've seen this done with a multi-dimensional array for each song.

PHP Code:
    song1:Array = [
    [
    0,0,0,0],
    [
    0,1,0,0],
    [
    0,0,0,0],
    [
    0,0,0,0],
    [
    0,1,0,0],
    [
    0,0,0,0],
    [
    0,1,0,1]] 
    Each array inside the song array is "1 second". the 0's are blank spaces, and the 1's are dots (when you want someone to press the button)

A timer tics every second and goes thru the arrays one by one, updating predetermined dot positions on the screen (think tetris). If a dot is over the hit area and user presses a button, he gets points.
    There are some problems with that method. Humans can distinguish sounds that last shorter then a second (I believe an echo experience starts from .2 seconds, but I'm not sure). In a drumming game that would mean that you'd need to have the sequence and the actual sound pretty well synced. I think you should use 1/32 (maybe even 1/64) beat as the base unit and vary the bpm (and thus checks per minute). This would mean that you need to use the timer to catch keypresses in between frames and then convert the found time to an array index.

I'm working on somthing like this at the minute. My song structure works somthing like:
    PHP Code:
    private var mySong:Array = [
    [
    10001],
    [
    0.250001],
    [
    50100],
    [
    10100],
    [
    10010],
    ]; 
    The first number indicates the number of beats to pass since the last note before this one should be created. I use
    PHP Code:
    setInterval(creationFunction, (1000/(songBPM/60))*mySong[0][0]); 
    Then for moving the notes I use
    PHP Code:
    -= (getTimer() - lastUpdate) * xSpeed 
    Where xSpeed is the distance to travel upon creation divided by how long you want the notes on the track for.

I use a few other bits to stop lag aswell and obviously the above code isn't exactly what I use, just the general gist of it.

It's pretty easy to find the tempo of a song, you can use a metronome if you have one or there are some free browser-base ones available on the net.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."