A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you play console games?

I've got a PS3, play MG Online and
    Love and hate the idea of online play. On one hand it's great fun and addictive as sin, but I can't stand the poor sportsmanship out there, it's an aggressively competitive domain and there are a LOT of poor losers out there who think nothing of sending pretty offensive mails to you if you happen to wipe the floor with them at Soul Calibur.
    That's why I love the Japan servers, as Japanese people have manners.
    Example:
    American post-round MGO comments.
    "You guys suck sh*t. Why you even play this game?"
    Japanese
    "Great game, good luck in the next Survival"
    ---
    On to the discussion about present games compared to old games.
    I've analysed this myself many times and come to the conclusion that most of the games you're retrospecting through rose-tinted glasses. Some of those games have stood the test of time for playability but what you get these days is games with astounding scale and lastability unexperienced before and game design in general has metamorphasized over the years into something of a higher art. Games of yonder years were mostly only playable for a rainy Sunday afternoon and then you were done, there were very few that you would play as much as say, Diablo2.

Oh dear, I probably misdirected that somehow
    My point was something along the lines that a game still needs a lot of tender, loving care to be a success
    There are some games today that feel a bit "manufactured"

Keep in mind I don't play big name games so often (if ever) so my view is probably significantly skewed

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    the only game i play on console is madden 2009/2008/2007/2006

soon to be 10
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

Xbox 360 Modding Controller PS3 Mod Paint Spray LED Case

I have a xobox 360 i play halo wars,halo3 dmc lol

I have a PS2, GameCube, Wii, DS and Xbox 360. The Gamecube is now in my stepdaughter's room. The PS2 hs seen very little play in the last year. If at all, it's been for Guitar Hero. The Wii, we use to check occasionally the news and weather (LOL).

What's gotten play is the 360, which I got 9 months ago. I dont play often, but when I do its mostly the "hits", or trying out indie demos. Actually, I am the big joke among my friends because 95% of my Xbox playing has been with Fallout 3. I'm STILL playing and intend to finish it before I crack open other games like Halo 3, Gears of War, and Grand Theft Auto IV (that one I KNOW will suck up too much time like San Andreas did!!!)

The download games are interesting. Splosion Man, Trials HD, Geometry Wars 2, PacMan Championship, all are awesome.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    You're missing out. Halo 3 ODST is amazing.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Have an Xbox 360 and DS, and play PC games... but don't play anywhere near as much as I used too - not enough hours in the day!

I grew up with 8 bits - Vic 20, Speccy, Amstrad 6128, then 8 bit consoles and on to the SNES and Amiga platforms before PC and Playstation.... but my heart is still in the 8-bit era. Give me Dig Dug or R-type over Halo 3 any day!

I have the fondest memories for the 8bit and 16 bit eras.
    Games i get these days probably will hardly ever leave such deep love affection memories in me like the games of back then did.
    For many of those old games that´s maybe more due to it all feeling way more fresh and new to me back then and cause there wasn´t much better stuff around.
    In between i try one of my older games again and the older they are the more its likely i either get bored by it quickly (either cause i already know all that´s in it or sometimes also cause its extremely simplicistic) or annoyed by the insane difficulty wondering how i took the time and motivation to play through such punishing stuff back in those days
    Those games that are from way back and still enjoyable stand out even more but yeah, sometimes it is very desillusioning when i play some of the old stuff again now

Regarding the newer stuff i recently got myself Wii Sports Resort which is fun for a while, couldn´t grab my attention lengthy though (its more fun when played with others and i actually had most fun with it when playing it with kids or non gamers cause it was cool to see how excited and into it they got (Hardcore gamers on the other end usually get bored of it quite quickly like me when playing it alone))

Then i also got Batman Arkham Asylum for the 360 and man, is that a well crafted excellent game. Had a blast playing through that one.
    I generally get less easily excited for new games these days but this one really got me hooked, i totally suggest it to any game player and even more so to any game developer because it really is a classy example of how to design lots of different game elements in excellent way.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    If you like sim, one to watch for is called Split Second. It might be one of DI's best games.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Got to agree, Arkham Asylum is just a different class, they've totally nailed it ( First game I've bought this year, I think there's been about 3 games I've wanted this year up until this month, now there are about 5 already, including ODST ).

Dirt2 is stunning too if you're a fan of the first one.

Just to put a competitive spin on this thread, post up your gamer cards:
    http://profile.mygamercard.net/Squize
    ( Bit out of date 'cause I've not been online for months with the 360 ).

Squize.

If you're into action RPG's I can heartily recommend Demon's Soul. It's not actually out yet in your neck of the woods until early October.
    Gotta be one of the best games I've ever played. Online is also intuitive and crazy fun, 3 guys can do co-op together taking on big bosses, kind of reminds me of Monster Hunter (another game I wish they'd bring out on the PS3) or you can hunt down innocent players as a Black Phantom. Maybe I really am evil because nothing is more entertaining than screwing up someones game just for sh*ts and giggles. Graphics and atmosphere are outstanding. Honestly the game is going to take the West by STORM when it comes out in a couple of weeks.