A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to animate a BMP file sequence

How to animate a BMP file sequence

Here's an easy question for any actionscript expert: how would you load 200+ BMP images and play them frame by frame ?

I have a short animation consisting of about 200 BMP files. I would like to turn it into an SWF.

With all 200 of them in the Library, I'm trying to figure out the best way of loading each frame one by one so we can turn this series of frames into an SWF.

Without actionscript, you could add them all to the stage, distribute them to layers, then arduously create keyframes one by one for each layer until you have done all 200.

Obviously though with actionscript it would be much easier. How would you code it ?

assuming they are named in order if you try to import the first one flash will ask if you want to import the entire sequence and automatically place each in a row with it's own keyframe.
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection

(assuming they are named image001, image 002,......image015....image200)

1. File > Import to Stage > Select just "image001".
    2. Flash will say something like 'This image seems to be part of a sequence, would you like to import the entire sequence?' Choose YES.
    3. Flash put each image in order on its own keyframe; however, its not centered on the stage. If all the images are the same size, go to Modify > Document (Ctrl+J) and change the width and height to fit the image size.
    4. This step is awesome! On the timeline toolbar, click the Edit Multiple Frames button, next to the Onion Skin button. Drag the handles to cover all 200+ images. Click the current image on the stage > Properties panel > enter '0' for the X and Y values.
    5. Now the ALL the images should be placed perfectly!

You may just want to adjust the fps.

dplows step 4 is probably one of the most unknown abilities in flash, worth noting
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection

Yeah, I love it! You just need to make sure you do it right, like expanding the sliders and selecting frames.

*Don't forget to turn it off when your done!