A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: can't close new window

can't close new window

Hi Bret and all,
    I've used KM7 to make a menu which calls up html pages made with KM in a new window. On this page is a button to close the window (and show the menu). Works on my computer - opens in full window and closes after a message asking "do you want to close". When I put it on any another computer, I can't close the new window when clicking the button. Any ideas?
    thanks,
    John
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jarnold; 09-01-2009 at 08:24 AM.

can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by jarnold View Post
    Hi Bret and all,
    I've used KM7 to make a menu which calls up html pages made with KM in a new window. On this page is a button to close the window (and show the menu). Works on my computer - opens in full window and closes after a message asking "do you want to close". When I put it on any another computer, I can't close the new window when clicking the button. Any ideas?
    thanks,
    John
    I just don't know how to get around this. If I transfer the fun files to another computer and then make html pages they work on that computer. Transfer the html pages to another computer and I can't close the window. I get a message saying unsafe swf.

Are you transferring the javascript file, the swf and the html all together? If so are the browsers set up the same? Same Flash Players, allow active content etc?

ok I tried it out and you need a stop movie on your second frame in testmenu.fun. This is probably not the problem though.

If you export everything in the same file directory and open it it works. I assume you want it to just go back and forth between html's, opening and closing test.html in a new window, in my case a tab as i am checking it in Firefox..

So my guess is that your browser on your second computer is lacking something.

Can you upload them to a server and try it there? Then you should know for sure if the second computer need some help if it can't open it.
    Last edited by etuom; 08-31-2009 at 01:46 AM.

It works in IE also.

Quote Originally Posted by etuom View Post
    ok I tried it out and you need a stop movie on your second frame in testmenu.fun. This is probably not the problem though.

If you export everything in the same file directory and open it it works. I assume you want it to just go back and forth between html's, opening and closing test.html in a new window, in my case a tab as i am checking it in Firefox..

Can you upload them to a server and try it there? Then you should know for sure if the second computer need some help if it can't open it.
    Thanks for the reply. Know about the testmenu repeating. Been trying to read up about flash palayer and security issues. My problem is that if I make a KM program and put it on several computers each one will have to be checked for some permission that I'm not sure of. Had the files working on a server so suprised to find them not working on a cd or usb. Tried setting KM export to "local files" and even "network access" but no luck. Can see this as a problem for KM users.
    John
    Last edited by jarnold; 09-01-2009 at 08:21 AM.

See I tried a local directory and even had them on the desktop and the flash buttons would not work.

try adding window i.e.

"javascript:window.self.close()"

This might be a long shot but .... have you checked the file properties/security/permissions and make sure that the user accounts on those computers can access those files like on the original? Maybe the whole thing is a Windows issue?

just annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by blanius View Post
    try adding window i.e.

"javascript:window.self.close()"
    Hi Bret,
    Tried it - now I couldn't close it on my machine. Had to put it back to be able to do so.Like I said works on the machine that creates it but not when you transfer it. So my problem is loading everything onto a cd and it not working on a given machine - chose flash because it would work on cross platform. Been to adobe site but can't find a global solution.
    John

thanks

This might be a long shot but .... have you checked the file properties/security/permissions and make sure that the user accounts on those computers can access those files like on the original? Maybe the whole thing is a Windows issue?
    Thanks but that means that anyone who uses it will have to change settings - thought flash player would allow me to get around that. Don't want to turn into .exe, blows the file out from 500k to 4.8MB.
    John

Does anyone else have this problem of making this button and having it not work on other computers - or it just me?
    John

Well it work on mine, in more than one browser, and it worked on Eric's I think

Quote Originally Posted by blanius View Post
    Well it work on mine, in more than one browser, and it worked on Eric's I think
    Thanks to both of you for your time. I've gone here

http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...4a.html#119065

and changed the settings to trust d: and Gmy usb). Can now get it to play on mine and the usb. Another laptop running XP(updated to player10.0) can also run the usb - so getting somewhere. Sounds like its my problem. I'll have make sure machines have player 10.0.