dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Ideas for speeding it all up

Threaded View

Ideas for speeding it all up

Everything's working fine for now, and I'm actually proud of my progress, though I stop for a few days everytime I hit the slightest milestone

The entire game relies a lot on my homemade physics system
    It may seem silly to use something homemade, but I honestly never figured out how to use a physics system I hadn't made myself, and I don't feel quite as accomplished either

Also I need to be able to explain every cog in the machine down the road when I present this as a project

Anyways, this is all fine and dandy for now, I can pump maybe a thousand particles into the room before things slow down, but the room itself ain't so big

However, if all goes as planned, I'll be working on much larger terrains over the next few days, and I'm wondering if there are any tips on relieving the load?

One example idea I thought of:
    Most of the particles are going to be temporary for cool explosions and such, and I could simply stop them from testing against any surface they couldn't possibly reach in their limited lifespan

Do you know of anything that's particularly effective?

EDIT: To be honest, I'm not sure if it'll slow down from the extra calculations
    It seems likely that a lot of the lag comes from simply rendering all the particles
    Last edited by trogdor458; 08-06-2009 at 01:49 AM.