A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash GPL (soon to come)

Exclamation Flash GFL V0.0.0.1 (Beta 1)

Flash GFL
    V0.0.0.1 (Beta 1)

Download Link (18.79 KB)

About:
    Flash GFL is a game programming library (GFL = General Functions Library) created for Flash using ActionScript 3.0. It features many functions that you can use to do several general things you might need. I hope people will use it to create better games with AS3. AS3 frighten many AS2 users by the complexity of the rewritten language and cause them to stick with AS2. This library will not only make programming in AS3 easier, it'll also encourage programmers to switch to AS3.

Instructions:
    To use Flash GFL, import a "package" by putting this in the first frame:
    include "Flash GFL/Math related.as";

That code imports the math package. You can import the other packages as well to get more functionality.

Note, though, that the "include" statement only directly copies code from the file to the frame in which the statement is used. So, if you'll want to use the math package in a certain movieclip, you'll have to import the math package in its first frame as well.

Credits:
    Putting my name in the credits is not required, but I'll be happy whatsoever. My nickname is Fede-lasse. If you'll like to, send me what you've managed to create using this, or what you want to add to the project, to my email at lasse1706@hotmail.com, and I'll review it when I get time.

Notes:
    Please note that this is a WIP project. I will be posting "weekly builds" that include new features each release.

There's not going to be any manual as of yet. I'll be making that later. For now, you're stuck with your own common sense, some code comments, and short explanations of the functions and systems.

Finally, more descriptions will come later. I'll be busy making the project currently. Remember, I have a life to take care of.
    Last edited by Fede-lasse; 08-14-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Flash GFL update

Will moderate for beer
    Before even seeing line 1 of the code, I have some points to mention:
    1. Change the name - GPL already has a widely known expansion, especially in the open-source world. This goes double if the license you plan to release under is not the GNU Public Licence
    2. Use google code hosting or some other public code repository that allows anonymous checkouts. It's much more convenient for yourself and users than multiple zip downloads.
    3. Use asdoc to generate api documentation. If you've already got code comments, doing this will be minimal extra work.
    4. Examples, examples, examples - post a show-off page or pages that illustrate, with live swfs, the sort of stuff this allows.

Some questions: What license are you planning on using? What sort of content will you have, and why is it better than getting a physics engine, datastructures library, or whatever from whichever projects I like and cobbling them together myself? Or how is it different than say, http://pushbuttonengine.com/ ?
    What sort of contributions are you looking for, and how can others contribute to your open source project?

1. Ok, but how do I change the topic title itself?
    2. Good idea. I'll do that.
    3. Also a great idea. Thanks.
    4. Examples will come sometime. I'll only be posting new versions of the library during the early releases so users can fiddle around with it if they want.

Regarding the pushbuttonengine, then let me say wow. That just killed me. Looking at the features, however, got me to think that I still have a purpose to continue working on my library.

The content will cover general coding needs. It includes all sorts of small functions that either expand upon existing systems, make using the systems easier, or build new ones. Major coding still belongs to the coder, but this package will indeed help him/her underway and provide a massive amount of shortcuts. In other words, it will simplify coding a lot (I like to keep coding simple myself).

However, seeing as it covers general coding needs, many categories can be added or removed as the coder see fit.

Regarding license, I plan on using a sort of license that allows every single person on the planet to use the library, as long as they don't claim it to be theirs. If one happens to have made a very look-alike, edited version, then I think I still deserve some credit.

Others may contribute to me by email or PM and receive credit if I'll add their submission to the library.
    Last edited by Fede-lasse; 08-06-2009 at 04:50 PM.