dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Do I need to use 'web only' colors?

Do I need to use 'web only' colors?

If I'm creating a Flash file (ActionScript 3.0) based off of a Photoshop file, do I need to use web only colors in Photoshop? I creating a pop-up page for a site.

I am using Photoshop CS4 and Flash CS4. Thanks

Yes. That way the colors will still be semi-predictable as far as how the client sees them in comparison to how you see them.

Thanks. I just did a test with web only colors and they definitely look similar to the original photoshop file, but they are still a little different. Is this common?

Yea. Web colors can't hold a candle to the diversity of color available in print, so they will be a bit different. Therefore if you stick to web colors, what the user will see is more predictable.

Hate to disagree with r3h0ld3r, but the web color palette was developed years ago when computer monitors could only display 256 colors. You would be extremely unlikely to find anyone using a monitor these days that can't display at least thousands, if not millions of colors, so there is no need to restrict yourself to the "web safe" palette.

The variations that occur now that cause problems are how the same color displays on different screens - CRT, LCD, or Plasma. How the color calibration has been adjusted on each screen. And even how colors display differently on different operating systems, Windows or Mac.

You're not wrong. I personally still use them just because I like to stay on the safe side...just like how some still develop for IE 6

Personallly, I don't use them...I just use whatever looks good. Monitors are pretty good at handling all colours these days.