A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Converted .mov into .flv in quicktime + imported it into Flash = looks like pooh!

Converted .mov into .flv in quicktime + imported it into Flash = looks like pooh!

Anybody know why importing flvs (which I converted using quicktime from .mov files) into a flash file would degrade the image quality so noticeably? When I play the flvs in Quicktime, they look exactly as they should. However, if I import them to the stage and publish the swf file, there is a noticeable deterioration in the quality as well as in the text that appears on screen.

Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated.

OH BTW - I'm using Flash 9.

have you got scaling or smoothing enabled for the player? when you say import the videos to the stage, are you actually bringing the video in and embedding it in the timeline, or are you using the flvplayback component?

Dan

Wow! Thanks for getting back to me. I imported directly into the timeline by File>Import>Import Video and then selecting the .flv file to import.

First off... I had no idea you could turn on smoothing on a video. I still am not quite sure how to do this. I don't see a smoothing selection in the parameters or the components window. But if this is possible, I think it would solve all my problems as the image quality has a similar craggy look (especially when it comes to text being shown on screen) as a jpg without "smoothing" being enabled.

I would appreciate any and all input on flash video as I do not work with it much but am finding myself working with it more and more now.

Quote Originally Posted by adamlamas View Post
    Anybody know why importing flvs (which I converted using quicktime from .mov files) into a flash file would degrade the image quality so noticeably?
    Sounds like you are encoding encoded files. Which degrades the quality. The rule is to encode only once. Even pulling raw mpg files from the camera will degrade the quality.

The best way to get the highest quality is to 'capture' the raw video into a video editing software. Premiere is a good example, then after editing the video you can encode it once directly to an flv file. That way you are only encoding one time.

You need to have a camera or device that is compatable. There are several on the market. And the camera itself should be a fairly higher end camera, most low end cameras are not compatible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In this case (as in most cases for me), I am working with trailers to movies or in other cases, I am posting people's demo reels. Not only has all this been encoded already, in some instances, it has already been turned into a .flv file.

The problem is... the .flv file, on its own (played in flash player or quicktime) looks fine. The minute I import it into the flash file of the website I am building, and I publish it... the image quality deteriorates for some unknown reason.

Any suggestions?

sounds like you need smoothing on. I think it's something like myFLVPlaybackComponent.smoothing=true but you'll have to check livedocs or flash help for that. it should sort the issues you've been having.

incidentally you'll experience a higher processor load with smoothing on. Don't say I didn't warn you.... :]

my excuse for not linking to the info? all the search engines i attempt to access seem to be bust tonight. :/

Far out! Can you explain to me where the code should be placed?

Eh? are you using flash 8 or below?

On the timeline (in a locked layer name AS, gotta get those code conventions correct) in a frame which contains your flvplayback component.

If you're not sure where to write the AS to make this work then I suggest going through a few tuts on this site to familiarise yourself with how scripting works in Flash - it'll make life much easier for you.

Dan

Many thanx for responding! I figured it out. I was just confused as to whether you applies it to the AS layer or the instance itself.