A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash banner links not working

Hybrid View

Question Flash banner links not working

Hi, i have created some flash banners with a url embedded in them, so when they are placed on a web page the banner links through to my website when clicked. Fairly simple.

But, i tested them on a website on my server to link to another website on the server and they worked fine. When i gave them to a client to embed on their own website (the flash files are hosted on my server still), the links no longer work.

Is this a security issue to stop the links working? i also checked it in linux and the banners worked, but in windows they do not. i'm a flash newbie so maybe there is something obvious i have missed?

I dont want the client to have their own local copy of the flash file, as i may update it in the future and dont want to chase up lots of different copies everywhere.

thank you for any help - i'm really stuck with this!!

If you hard-code the URL, then there shouldn't be a problem.

The url in the flash is:

on (release) {getURL("http://www.mysite.com");
    }

This works fine if the banner is on the same server as the website it is embedded in, but if the banner is hosted on server A, and the website is hosted on server B, the banner link no longer works.

When tested in Linux however the banners work perfectly fine, but in windows they dont. Is there any security restrictions that i dont know about, or settings that need to be set in the Flash in order for it to work correctly?

All help is much appreciated!

I think i have sussed it now... so this is for anyone else who has the same problem.

You have to add this to the object and embed tags of the flash banner in order to tell the browser to trust the links in the flash object:

allowScriptAccess='always'

See more info here - http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/50c1cf38.html