A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Load external Application into Flash, beside image and movie file

Load external Application into Flash, beside image and movie file

I have come by various methods of loading external image into flash (Loader class), or loading video into Flash (NetStream class), I am hoping I can load a application viewer into flash.
    I am working on a project with the Esperient Editor which generate a Esperient Viewer file. Does anyone have any idea how to write an actionscript to load other application into flash?

Or is there any tools or methods to work around what I need?

Any suggestion will be helpful for me to seek for a solution. Thanks in advance.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    You're probably going to have to write a viewer yourself in ActionScript, or something that converts the Esperient file format to another 3D format that's already supported by an existing Flash 3D framework.

How to code a viewer in ActionScript

Quote Originally Posted by Northcode View Post
    You're probably going to have to write a viewer yourself in ActionScript, or something that converts the Esperient file format to another 3D format that's already supported by an existing Flash 3D framework.
    Thanks for your post. I was just thinking of how about a Flash 3D last night. I have never touched on Flash3D, and have read little about PaperVision and Sandy3D. I must look at this.

Meanwhile, Is there any link about how to write a viewer in ActionScript?

I was trying out FsCommand last night, i discovered that FlashCs4 got some problem to run FsCommand("exec", "testApplication.exe"). But I think FsCommand is not the solution.

Again, Thanks so much for replying my post. Every help counts alot to me.

I come by this link,
    Flash ActiveX Workaround Javascript Fix

http://newsourcemedia.com/blog/flash...avascript-fix/

How can I load the Javascript inside the flash, so that it can load the esperient file?

<html>
    <body>
    <script src="flashesp.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript"> embedEspViewer();</script>
    </body>
    </html>
    Hope anyone can give me some advices.

You can't load JavaScript inside Flash so you won't be able to use the ActiveX control that way. If you're publishing to an EXE you can try using my product (SWF Studio) to load an ActiveX control. Our ActiveX object allows you to write ActionScript code that manipulates the ActiveX control from Flash and the ActiveX control appears to be part of your Flash application (as if it was on a layer higher than anything else on the stage).
    Last edited by Northcode; 08-30-2009 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks so much, I really must look at SWF studio, impressive. I am only worried that I cannot use exe file to load the esperient file,

Guess I may really need to look at how to write a viewer with actionscript of how to load esp file into flash..

I am only worried that I cannot use exe file to load the esperient file
    The fact that the viewer OCX works in IE is a good sign. Someone in their forums has also used the viewer in Delphi so it should work fine with SWF Studio.

I see from their web site that they export to some other popular 3D file formats, one of which may be supported by one of the existing Flash 3D frameworks - it's worth a shot and might save you some time