A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Trying to build a hazard perception test

Trying to build a hazard perception test

In the UK we have to sit a theory test before we sit out driving test. Part of this is a hazard perception test where we watch clips of somebody driving and we click the screen when we see something which could cause us to slow down, stop or change direction.
    I'm attempting to build a hazard perception test for people to practice on. What it needs to do is record the user clicking when a hazard appears in the video clip and record it. At the end of the clips they are given a score based on whether they clicked at the right time.
    So far I can put frame labels at the point when there is a hazard in the clip and create an alert but I'm planning to load the clips randomly from a collection of 20, there should be 10 per test. Is it possible to put frame labels on each clip and still load them from a main file?
    Has anybody got any ideas of the best way to approach this?

I have no idea about this, but from what you said, I think the best approach would be to have a external data file(xml, arrays, whatever) define the time of the clicks in the movie in milliseconds, kind of like subtitles of a movie stored separately! When you load a video, load the associated datafile, and start a timer when the movie starts playing! Now after the clicks, you can simply subtract the time differences in the user and predefined clicks to show a result!

you can use frames instead of actual time, but you still will be better off storing the info externally
    Last edited by bluemagica; 09-09-2009 at 04:21 PM.
    If you like me, add me to your friends list .

PS: looking for spriters and graphics artists for a RPG and an Arcade fighting project. If you can help out, please pm me!

My Arcade My Blog

Add me on twitter: