A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: movie clip buttons....

well i'll post this here since it is rather basic...

i have several different MC's which will be buttons when they completey load. right now they are just a basic 0-100% alpha fade. upon 100%, it should be a button that will call another movie clip to start. i am confused as to the sttings that should be placed on this.

right now, it's a movie clip. if i go into the clip, and look at the instance, it is a graphic, with "loop" at the end of this clip there is a stop action, so the button does not keep looping (the fade in) where should i be specifying any button behavior? should there be an actual button symbol for this in the library? i've tried several ways, and i have been unsuccessful at getting this fixed.

lastly, what are the pros and cons of importing an swf to be used as a movie clip? is there a size issue? is it a problem at all? obviously, you just have the whole movie laid out for you frame by frame, but is it cool do do this? say for example, you just wanted a quick and easy text effect, you use swish, genereate the swf, import it into your .fla, put it all into it's own MC, and then go on your merry way... are people doing this? is it can issue? i haven't messed with this, so it's (swish) new to me to mesh both app's

thanks,
    dub

When you use a button to make a movie clip play give the mc an instance name and;
    Begin Tell Target ("/mcname")
    Play
    End Tell Target

Yes it's cool to import swf and put it in a mc...

well, although it sounded very straight forward, and even with walking through the F5 tutorial on Tell Target, it isn't working, so i'm not sure where i'm going wrong. i select the MC instance i want to control the other one (controller) i select the keyframe, go to actions and do exactly as the tutorial says as well:

tellTarget (samplesclip1) {
    }

now, due to not wanting the target MC to play, there is a stop in frame 1 of that clip. is this okay there?, or should i have the stop in the main movie? this stops all other animation though at that point. so, how then with the tell target do you specify it to go to frame 2 and play?

i followed the tutorial to the T and nothing.

this was never answered either: if i go into the clip, and look at the instance, it is a graphic, with "loop" at the end of this clip there is a stop action, so the button does not keep looping (the fade in) where should i be specifying any button behavior? should there be an actual button symbol for this in the library? if i leave this graphic, i get no hand over the word specifying it would be a button...

thanks again...
    dub

You need to make an object a movie clip to target it;
    Begin Tell Target ("/mcname")
    go to and Play (2)

If you want an object to be a button make it as a button. You can then put actions on it...When you create a new symbol you will be given a choice; graphic, button or movie clip. mgb