A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hot at MAX: deploy to iPhone :D

+1 to respect.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    So is this going to open the door for Flash developers to sell their games through the app store? Might give me a reason to develop games for a purpose.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

OMG, this is a big one.

On the other hand, the app store was already flooded, and now with all kids submitting their Flash games to the store...

Adobe makes a good move, I guess this time CS5 will sell a lot better than CS4 .

This does mean though all those clients who ask for an iPhone version of their latest viral, will actually be able to get one now, instead of fainting when you quote a price ( Just had two this week in a weird twist of synchronicity ).

Expect the app store to be awash with ports of Flash viral adver-games.

Squize.

doItLikeThis
    Very very vvveeerrrrrryyyyyy awesome indeed.

Now I can finally see myself opening up the AS3 documentation.

Greetings to all the flash game devs. here
    -Aditya

To those wondering about a flood of Flash crap: Keep in mind, a developer must be part of Apple's Developer program (whatever its called). So that will filter out a number of "kiddies" who aren't serious enough to go through that red tape. Then the next filter is meeting Apple's guidelines and getting the app approved by Apple. And the last final filter is user ratings and sales/downloads, which tend to send the crap to the bottom (most of the time).

Yes you're right Ray. But so far, Apple doesn't evaluate the artistic/fun/gameplay quality of the apps. Crappy apps are already approved on the store, and the crappy Flash game should be approved too, it's not so difficult to meet the Apple guidelines. There are already valuable apps in the store that didn't get notived because of the flood, but I think Apple is working to improve these matters (for example with the Genius suggestions in the latest iPhone OS). Actually I think Apple will struggle a lot to cope with all these new apps submitted everyday, and all depends on them to keep the app store attracive to good devs.

True Sietjp. But anyone who thinks you make a game, stick it in a store and you're done, knows nothing about running a games business.

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    But anyone who thinks you make a game, stick it in a store and you're done, knows nothing about running a games business.
    I guess I have a lot to learn
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Beez View Post
    True Sietjp. But anyone who thinks you make a game, stick it in a store and you're done, knows nothing about running a games business.
    Damn. So much for my get-rich-quick scheme.

So, I probably haven't read enough to understand it fully, but how does the iPhone communicate with the flash app to trigger a button click when the user presses the screen? Will there be support/scaling for rotating the iphone while the app is running? Can we finally access local files on the iphone without using an external script?
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)

As far as I can understand, Adobe will provide a set of AS3 classes that will only be used for iPhone generation. If it works like in Unty3D, you will compile the AS3 into an objective C iPhone compatible code/project, and then you have to compile the iPhone code with a Mac/Xcode. I don't think they can compile directly the AS3 into a native iPhone app, but maybe I'm wrong...

As I understand it, it's different from Unity in that regard.

It'll publish it straight as a native app, an iPhone exe for want of a better term, so no Xcode or mac needed.

Also the API seems really extensive, I don't think there's a lot you can't do ( I've got it in my head that the camera and microphone may be out of limits, sorry I've read so much about it recently it's blurring into one ).

Squize.

I am curious if this could kill off some game portals if Flash moves a lot more to IPhone.

I didn't particularly want to have to buy the Iphone just to test my game if I ported a version to Iphone, so, guess I'll just get my Sister to test it on hers Seriously, to test it often would have to buy one?

I am messing with point and click at the moment and if I continue with it for my game engine, I'm not sure I like the idea of point and click without the use of mouse and mouse pointer and just touch on the Iphone.
    Guess that when you zoom into objects and actually point at them with your finger is say, to use a keypad would be very realistic though. Like actually 'touching' the keypad.
    May 2009 - Working on Thorenzitha RPG - episode 7

I can't imagine making a game for iPhone without testing on the device. That's OK if you can compile AS3 to iPhone binary but I wonder how Adobe will manage testings...
    Actually I would have prefered objective C generation to create for example a level editor in flash and integrate it later in an iPhone game.

Yes point n click would work on the iPhone I think and there aren't too much of this kind right now.

The iPhone app SDK already has an application tester. You don't need to have an iPhone to write an application for it. I mean yeah, it would definitely be a whole lot easier to test, but it's not required you shell out the dough for one.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

Apparently the simulator isn't a 100%, it even breaks down with Objective-C projects.
    If you're doing any kind of mobile gaming you really need the hardware.

An ipod touch is the same hardware and a lot cheaper. Sometimes you need to speculate to accumulate and all that.

As to the comment about portals, it won't affect them at all. The big ones earn millions every year, that ad revenue is not going anywhere for the time being.

Squize.

Very interesting, it seems you can develop and test on the device using only CS5, read the UPDATE2 on this article : http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...phone-apps.ars

To clarify some info:
    - It compiles straight to iphone IPA file.

- You don't need a Mac.

- They recommend publishing as an AIR app for testing locally, but the final build has NOTHING to do with AIR. It's a native IPA app file.

- You do need to get into Apple's developer program, which costs $99 for a "personal developer" account. Approval is less than a week usually. I don't know the cost for a company.

- You will need a developer certificate (Like with AIR. But AIR allows you to use a self-signed certificate. I don't know if Apple allows this.)

- Testing on a device isn't as simple as buying a device. The device would have to be "jailbroken" or an official dev version of an iphone (or ipod touch), otherwise there's no means to put your app-in-progress on the device.<-- I've been told this isn't true.

- multi-touch gestures are supported

- Landscape mode is supported

- Loading external SWFs with AS in them is not supported.
    Last edited by Ray Beez; 10-14-2009 at 05:43 PM.

One of my thoughts on this is...

If you have a look at the top rated games on this platform, you will see that most of the games in the top ten, are quality 3D games with real good quality, some of them probarbly have standards equals to the old PS1 quality or more. These games sell at 0.99$ or 1.50$. Whist there are some simple real good fun games in these games, they are probarbly excepcional, 1 out of hundreds...

I know there is always room for smooth, fun, simple addicting games. Almost anyone who has played videogames for years still loves to go back and play a clasic arcade, or just a new fun simple game. I myself have payed for these games on Xbox Live Arcade. But... Xbox 360 games are 60 or 70 euros, whilst the arcade are just a few euros. (just using this as an example)

So ... in this case, is there really a market for flash games on the iPhone? Obviously the chance to get rich is always gonna be almost null, but whats the odds just to be able to sell one single flash game?

Not trying to discourage anyone! Just a thought.... I do not have much knowledge on iPhone games or aplications, I dont own one, and I'm not very interested in one either.

The key advantage is being able to offer clients iPhone versions of the Flash game they want you to do without having to pay an iPhone dev a ton of money.

The chances of breaking into the top 100 apps with a Flash game are very low, as low as doing it with a native written game or some other middleware.

Squize.