A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: hot at MAX: deploy to iPhone :D

@Ray, you don't need to jailbreak the device to test on it. You can install adhoc versions of your application very easily with iTunes. I also think that installing your developper profile on the iPhone is possible via iTunes, so you don't even need to use adhoc version, the ipa signed with your developer profile should work fine through iTunes.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    I really hope someone takes the time to do this and writes a how-to thread to put in the knowledge base. I thought I knew what was going on until everyone started throwing 13856913 terms around that went over my head.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

CS5 is not even on public beta yet, so its not possible to actually test how it works.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    I obviously didn't mean in the near future.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Quote Originally Posted by Squize View Post
    The chances of breaking into the top 100 apps with a Flash game are very low, as low as doing it with a native written game or some other middleware
    I've seen many popular flash ports reach top 25, like: bowman, double wire, bloons, line rider (although it's now in silverlight...), fantastic contraption, ragdoll blast, etc...
    Last edited by ozmic66; 10-09-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    Pixelwave Flash-based iPhone framework
    iPhone Games: Flyloop | Freedom Run

Twitter: Oztune

@Bastrix: That's a very good point. There will probably be no point in making "yet another Tetris" or other simple concepts that don't stand out. But if you have some hit Flash games already existing as web versions, it's probably worthwhile to port those, and then market the existence of the iphone version via your web game (just build in some new content/features to encourage your fans to purchase).

@Siet: Good to know!

@IP and Tony: Adobe have put together some PDFs on developing for iphone and I would imagine complete documents will be provided with the final CS5 Help Documention.

I wish I had some AS3 projects I could test with right now...

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashcs5/

"I've seen many popular flash ports reach top 25, like: bowman, double wire, bloons, line rider (although it's now in silverlight...), fantastic contraption, ragdoll blast, etc..."

And how many games have made a huge loss for the authors ?

I wasn't implying that Flash games ( Or even ports as in your examples ) couldn't make it on there, more that the app store isn't a magic pot of gold, which is always implied.

Squize.

People having access may not talk about what´s not public but may release games, so, well, here´s a screen capture i made using my crappy ps2 eye toy camera:
    http://stimunationgames.com/previews...ures/pool.html

Is it an iPhone game made with Flash ? The framerate is horrible isn't it ? Unless it's the video replay that is laggy ?

Yes, and yes and yes, my eye toy cam recording doesn´t help either

I should add to this that it doesn´t make use of the hardware acceleration Ted Patrick talks about on his blog so its software only.
    I think the flash made apps on the App Store give a good idea for what´s feasable right now and how it runs, let´s see how the public beta does in comparison

Just as I feared. Even that roach game has choppy menu animations.

TOm, what device is your video showing? Is it an iphone or ipod touch? And which generation? The various devices have different CPU speeds, don't they?

Its showing an iPhone 3g. And yes, the different iDevices have different amounts of ram and their cpus/ gpus work at different speeds.
    The first iPhone and iPod touch are the least powerful ones. Then comes the iPhone 3g (the one used here) then the iPod touch 2nd gen (which has the same hardware as the iPhone 3g but its main chip isn´t underclocked that much) and then the iPhone 3gs is currently the best. It also comes with support for using open gl es 2.0 whereas all others are bound to 1.1

Something like the roach game should totally run at very smooth 30-60 fps on any of these devices though when done in unity or other technologies.
    Adobe guys said publicly they are working on the performance side a lot so let´s see how that went when they release the public beta.

Mike Chambers does a provocative play on words there of course.
    He first puts out a statement as headline that sounds as if he would list why its no good idea to make iPhone apps using flash.
    But quickly it turns out that his post is actually about pimping that with flash soon one can deploy apps to many (more) platforms, hence why one shouldn´t have to create apps for a particular platform when using flash but rather be able to deploy content made in flash to many platforms without big changes.

I think its a good idea to also read this:
    http://www.bit-101.com/blog/?p=2410

and i also think it would be very good for Adobe if it turns out that what Mike Chambers suggests is actually a good idea regarding whats the resulting app on the device and i also think it would be very bad for Adobe if it instead turns out to be the case that things are such a pain to develop using flash platform tools or so badly running or so limited in functionality compared to content made in other technologies that its no good idea to make them in flash.

Adobe is excellent in building up hype, they probably got more hype going with this than ever before. In return it is more important than ever before that this time what is delivered after the hype is no disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Squize View Post
    And how many games have made a huge loss for the authors ?

I wasn't implying that Flash games ( Or even ports as in your examples ) couldn't make it on there, more that the app store isn't a magic pot of gold, which is always implied.
    Of course unsuccessful attempts and losses are almost unavoidable, and I too have learned that it's no pot of gold... but my main point is that I noticed flash games from the web have a higher chance of success on the app store than an unknown 'native' game, probably because of quicker recognition

On a different note,

Just read through Keith's entry, and I pretty much agree. I've been diving kind of deep into opengl es (and even working on a flash-like interface for it), and I'm also skeptical about how much of the optimization needed to get good performance out of it can be automated...
    The only option I see for flash games to have native-like performance is if adobe creates a low-level API that grants access to all sort of device & opengl specific functions...
    In this case you'd probably have to work just as hard as you would have with xcode to make something work well, in which case you've lost flash's simplicity and portability.
    Last edited by ozmic66; 10-14-2009 at 01:06 PM.
    Pixelwave Flash-based iPhone framework
    iPhone Games: Flyloop | Freedom Run

Twitter: Oztune

Read this:
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/216788/output/print

It's disappointing, but hey, its reality.

Anyone know if "Canabalt" is a Flash port or was it reprogrammed?

It was reprogrammed. Regarding the performance of the currently available on the App Store flash to iPhone port apps it wouldn´t have been possible in same performance if flash to iPhone deploy option had been chosen.