A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Adding a link in a .xml that's being pulled into flash

Adding a link in a .xml that's being pulled into flash

This is my first time using XHTML so I'm a little confused. Oh and I'm in Flash CS3 using AS 2.0

I have a 3D carousel that's displaying some web pages. When they're clicked on they come forward and there's a paragraph of text displaying some info (that's pulled from the .xml).

I would like to have a link after the paragraph to the web page that it's displaying that says something like "Launch" or "Click Here to View Site"

So can I add that link into my .xml document?

I've attached my project for reference. Not all of the images are there but there's enough that you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

No help? I'm totally stuck here guys... any help would be greatly appreciated.

bump

search here for CDATA and asfunction

yes u can ..however make a slight modification to your XML file so your content is not an attribute:

e.g

<icon image="icon1.png" tooltip="Halloween Haunt"><![CDATA[Kings Island Halloween Haunt Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras quis vehicula risus. Duis ultricies quam ac eros faucibus rhoncus. Donec tempor nisi id metus lobortis suscipit. Donec sollicitudin nunc at turpis sodales rhoncus. Pellentesque in magna arcu, vitae vestibulum erat. Cras idlectus arcu, sed faucibus arcu.<br>Click here to view the <a href='http:www.hotmail.com'>page</a>]]></icon>

You content should be surrounded by CDATA tags as above. When you write out the text in flash make sure you have set the textfield to display HTML.
    Last edited by silentweed; 10-07-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: looks like dog beat me to it :)
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

-----------------------------------------------------
    Flash Certified Developer

May be this can help you...

I am not sure whether this will be of any help, but you can try this. This is how I use in AS 3.0...

XML Code:-
    <icons>
    <icon image="icon1.png" url="xyz.html" tooltip="Halloween Haunt" content="Kings Island Halloween Haunt."/>
    </icons>

Flash Code:-
    (so where you pulling the other stuff, pull the url as shown below)
    contentItems[x].@url //contentItems is my variable to pull the content from XML
    Last edited by tarunar; 10-07-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silentweed View Post
    yes u can ..however make a slight modification to your XML file so your content is not an attribute:

e.g

<icon image="icon1.png" tooltip="Halloween Haunt"><![CDATA[Kings Island Halloween Haunt Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras quis vehicula risus. Duis ultricies quam ac eros faucibus rhoncus. Donec tempor nisi id metus lobortis suscipit. Donec sollicitudin nunc at turpis sodales rhoncus. Pellentesque in magna arcu, vitae vestibulum erat. Cras idlectus arcu, sed faucibus arcu.<br>Click here to view the <a href='http:www.hotmail.com'>page</a>]]></icon>

You content should be surrounded by CDATA tags as above. When you write out the text in flash make sure you have set the textfield to display HTML.
    Hmm, I tried this and I'm still having trouble. I put in your code in my .xml, and I clicked the box to display html in my text box in flash and in the spot where the text was supposed to display it just said "undefined"

Can anyone PLEASE help me, I've attached my files. Tarunar I appreciate the help but I'm using AS 2.0
    Attached Files Attached Files