A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Link]: Where to Start with AS3, FlashDevelop and Flixel

[Link]: Where to Start with AS3, FlashDevelop and Flixel

I've been working on a guide to getting started with game programming with AS3, based on my experiences switching over from AS2 earlier this year.

I found that FlashDevelop and Flixel are perfect (and perfectly free) for the games I want to make, and I've collected a number of tutorials that I've found most helpful in learning how to use them.

I thought I'd share my findings here and hopefully save some people some time and frustration on the path to Flash game developership.

Without further ado, I present to you...

If you know anyone who is trying to get started with Flash game development, or switching over to AS3, feel free to send them my way. I am prepared to assist and answer questions as necessary.

Let me know what you think! Suggestions and feedback are welcome.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Excellent!

Thank you!

Thanks fot he article.
    It seems that Fixel is a game engine that is more and more used in games. I heard about it but never used it, what do you think about it axcho, did you use it ?

Well, I personally feel, while learning it is better to create things from scratch rather than using libraries!
    If you like me, add me to your friends list .

PS: looking for spriters and graphics artists for a RPG and an Arcade fighting project. If you can help out, please pm me!

My Arcade My Blog

Add me on twitter:

Nice! I had a bit of a read through. I'd never seen the sound effect and music programs you linked to before, they are pretty sweet! I believe I am now addicted to randomising the sound effects!

Quote Originally Posted by Sietjp View Post
    Thanks fot he article.
    It seems that Fixel is a game engine that is more and more used in games. I heard about it but never used it, what do you think about it axcho, did you use it ?
    Flixel is great. I love it. It just makes game programming feel so much more fluent, for me.

Flixel: "I feel like my brain is settling into the cockpit of a fighter plane that I always knew how to fly."

Quote Originally Posted by bluemagica View Post
    Well, I personally feel, while learning it is better to create things from scratch rather than using libraries!
    It's certainly important to have people learn to do things themselves, instead of giving them the pieces and not letting them make their own.

But have you actually used Flixel? It's not like that. It takes care of the things that are the same in every game, just like Flash takes care of rendering and user input and stuff. For the majority of people who want to learn to make games, forcing them to learn to write collision detection code, blitting routines, or camera scrolling would only confuse and frustrate them.

When you teach someone how to program, you start with "Hello World!", not with low-level routines to read in a string and display characters on the screen. It's the same for games. That's why Flixel is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkahm52 View Post
    Nice! I had a bit of a read through. I'd never seen the sound effect and music programs you linked to before, they are pretty sweet! I believe I am now addicted to randomising the sound effects!
    Thanks, I'm glad I could help you find them! I love it when people create awesome things like sfxr and release them for free so everyone can benefit.

Thanks a lot. I just discovered Flixel and was looking for something like this.