A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Blurfilter Issue/Alternative

Blurfilter Issue/Alternative

Hi Everyone,

Below is a sample flash cover flow you can download for free from this link.

http://www.weberdesignlabs.com/blog/?p=11

I'm using CS4, and using the Device Central Simulator to test the code.

Blurfilter seems to be only compatible with Flash Lite 3.1, but is there a way I could implement it in Flash Lite 2.1?

Is there an alternative to Blurfilter in Flash Lite 2.1?

Below is part of the source code, this is the error I get. I want to be able to get the same/similiar effect in Flash Lite 2.1.

---------
    The class or interface 'BlurFilter' could not be loaded.
    ---------

Thanks for your help everyone!

// "The Elevator Door 2"
    for (var i :Number; i <= infostruc.length;i++){
    var cArt:MovieClip = this.createEmptyMovieClip("art" + this.getNextHighestDepth(), this.getNextHighestDepth());
    var rArt:MovieClip = this.createEmptyMovieClip("reflection" + (this.getNextHighestDepth() - 1), this.getNextHighestDepth());
    rArt.id = cArt.id = rArt.cid = cArt.cid = Number(i) + 1;
    cArt.DistortImage(this["_bmd" + cArt.id]);
    controlTheObject(cArt);
    rArt.DistortImage(this["_ref" + cArt.id]);
    controlTheObject(rArt);
    var tmpFilter:BlurFilter = new BlurFilter(reflectionBlurX, reflectionBlurY, reflectionQuality); rArt.filterArray = [];
    rArt.filterArray.push(tmpFilter);
    rArt.filters = rArt.filterArray;
    }
    myMO.onMouseWheel = function(delta:Number):Void {
    if (delta > 0) {
    next();
    } else if (delta <= 0) {
    previous();
    }
    };

shavingcream incarnate gukinator's Avatar
    i dont know what flash lite is but i have used the blurFilterClass before and you need to import the class to be able to use it
    PHP Code:
    import flash.filters.BlurFilter

"Flash Lite" is the Flash version for mobile phones, consumer electronic devices, and Internet-connected digital home devices.

I'd like to implement this Flash Cover Flow using only Flash Lite 2.1, but it gives me this error about the Blurfilter, which I'm guessing is not supported in Flash Lite 2.1 (only in 3.1).

So I want to see if there's an alternative to it so I can continue running this code.

Thanks for your help!

Flashlite is lite for heaven sake it wil not take those memory hungry filters into itself. That is why adobe left it out of the as2 api for flash lite 2.0 and above. check the flash help. filters are not for flash lite. your phone will die if you use that.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkdemon View Post
    Flashlite is lite for heaven sake it wil not take those memory hungry filters into itself. That is why adobe left it out of the as2 api for flash lite 2.0 and above. check the flash help. filters are not for flash lite. your phone will die if you use that.
    Thanks for your response Sparkdemon, but I'm don't think it has to do with memory. I agree these are memory hungry filters, which is why I'm trying to look into alternatives to this Blurfilter.

But I believe it's more of a backwards compatitbility issue. Why does Blurfilter work with Flash lite 3.1 and NOT 2.1? What is missing in 2.1, and what can I use to make this code backwards compatible to 2.1, to achieve the same /similar effect?

shavingcream incarnate gukinator's Avatar
    are you sure blurFilter works in flash lite 3.1? ive looked around on some adobe resources and it keeps saying its not supported:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashLit...84e3-7ff7.html

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/devices/...guidelines.pdf
    (3rd page)

also, please do not double post sparkdemon, use the edit button instead

Hi gukinator,

Thanks for the double post tip.

Yes, I've also read some adobe resources and it says Flash Lite 3.1 does not support Blurfilter.

But I'm currently using Flash CS4, using the Adobe Device Central CS4, I run the Cover Flow sample code using their Flash Lite 3.1 simulator, and it works, but not on 2.1.

I don't actually have a device that has Flash lite 3.1, but I do have a deivce with Flash lite 2.1. That's why I want to see if I can implement this code in Flash Lite 2.1.
    Last edited by Ipstar33; 10-18-2009 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ipstar33 View Post
    Thanks for your response Sparkdemon, but I'm don't think it has to do with memory. I agree these are memory hungry filters, which is why I'm trying to look into alternatives to this Blurfilter.

But I believe it's more of a backwards compatitbility issue. Why does Blurfilter work with Flash lite 3.1 and NOT 2.1? What is missing in 2.1, and what can I use to make this code backwards compatible to 2.1, to achieve the same /similar effect?
    I am a Adobe Flash Lite Developer for quiet some time now. It is a memory issue and not a backward compatibility issue. Adobe has left out most of its flash player 7/8 features. This is because phones do not have much resources. If it were a backward compatibility issue .. after flash lite 2.0 as 2.0 they would have brought it in flash lite 3.1.