A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: more button stuff...

okay, i posted in the newbies earlier because it was a rather simple question, and i figured some other people may benefit from it as well, but my responses were also rather simple, and although i understood the instruction, it was still vague, and did not provide the solution.

anyway, if someone could take a read at the post, maybe i could get this figured out. i have been through the "bible" the F5 help, and tutorials in 2 magazines, and online. this is simple, but i can't get it...
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...threadid=80287

actually, here is something that may work... am i hot or cold with this?
    where i am at now, in another experiment is creating a button in the library, as a hotspot i can use in multiple areas of the film. cool. i get this, but i still cannot get it to go to the MC "sampleclip1" and start to play at frame 2.

if i remove everything, and let the main movie play all the way through, after my buttons appear, it starts playing the MC no prob. why then, can't i put a stop on frame 1 of the MC and assign my buttons to play the clip after clicking...

thanks again for all the help.
    dub

i wouldve given the same answer u got there - sorry

I gather that ur problem is controlling movieclip 2 from movieclip 1? is this correct?

if so, using Flash 5, place at end of movieclip1

_root.movieclip2.play

there ya go

or using tell target,

telltarget (movieclip2) {
    play}

make sure there is a stop in the first frame of movieclip 2.

make sure that you name the instance. Select the instance from windows>panels and then select your movieclip. The instance name "movieclip1" should be entered for movieclip1 and so on. If u do not name the instance, it won't work. Naming the instance is completely different from naming the movieclip.

Hope this helped

Im gonna print this - may come in handy!