dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Links not working with "www"... but work without "www"

Web Designer

Question Links not working with "www"... but work without "www"

Hello,

I have a Flash banner and the link in the banner doesn't work when I visit the site using "www". However, the link does work when I visit the site without "www".

For example:

If I visit the site with "http://www.suddomain.domain.com" The link from the banner doesn't work

If I visit the site with "http://suddomain.domain.com" The link from the banner works.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks.
    Ricardo Zea
    Web Designer
    www.ricardozea.net
    (X)HTML+CSS W3schools.com Certified

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Sites don't just automatically work with www. Especially for a subdomain. It's not very typical to have www.subdomain.domain.com. Why are you trying to enforce the www? Can't you just leave it out?

Web Designer
    Yes, you're right, but this is something that another department in the company I work for is having issues with and I don't have control over making that decision or not.

But, shouldn't any link from a Flash animation work regardless of "www" or no "www"?

It just doesn't make sense to me.
    Ricardo Zea
    Web Designer
    www.ricardozea.net

No.

subdomain.domain.com &
    www.subdomain.domain.com

are completely different DNS entries. www.subdomain.domain.com would need to be manually set up in order to work. "www" just doesn't make things magically work.

On a normal domain with www has two DNS records, typically "A" records. There is one set up for domain.com and another set up for www.domain.com. You could leave out the www entry, and www.domain.com wouldn't load.

So it's the same case with subdomain.domain.com vs www.subdomain.domain.com. There is a DNS entry set up for subdomain.domain.com, but there isn't one for www.subdomain.domain.com. www.domain.com is just assumed to be required, so typically the www entry is created by default. But www.subdomain is not typical, so it probably wasn't.

Web Designer
    Mmm... interesting.

So, the issue is server related then, not Flash/banner related.

If I understood correctly: If the DNS entry for www.subdomain.domain.com is not set in the DNS records, then the clicking on the Flash banner would do nothing, right?

Thanks again.
    Ricardo Zea
    Web Designer
    www.ricardozea.net

It won't do nothing. It'll take you to a server not found error. Same as attempting to go to http://thisdomaindoesntexist.flashkit.com There just isn't anything there. No IP address can be mapped to the domain name.

Web Designer
    Well, the issue we're having is that clicking on the Flash banner from this domain, www.subdomain.domain.com, doesn nothing... in other, other words, clicking the Flash banner doesn't take me to a 'Server not found' page/error, or anything. Literally nothing happens.

So I'm going to have to tell them that the Flash banner is not resolving the link because of a server issue related to the DNS entry.

Thanks for the info.
    Ricardo Zea
    Web Designer
    www.ricardozea.net

That's very weird if it's literally doing nothing. Do you have the banner online so I can take a look at it? Or can you post the code you're using?

Web Designer
    Sure: http://www.risk.lexisnexis.com/contact-more-debtors (right column "Debtor360")

Now, the problem was first found when the path to the Flash banner was set to absolute in the HTML, for example: <embed src="http://www.risk.lexisnexis.com/mc/debtor360/debtor360_lnaca.swf" width="150" height="150">

But they solved the problem by calling the Flash banner from a relative path: <embed src="/mc/debtor360/debtor360_lnaca.swf" width="150" height="150">

But still, if you're calling a Flash file from an absolute path, its link has nothing to do with where it's being called... or so it seemed to me.

I still can't grasp 100% why the banner doesn't work from one URL but it does from other and then how the path in the HTML fixes the 'embedded' link in the Flash file...

Thanks a lot for your help MyFriendIsATaco.
    Ricardo Zea
    Web Designer
    www.ricardozea.net

It worked for me using the full absolute url. I embedded it myself on a test page.

Web Designer
    Mmm... I wonder why it worked.

This is a long shot, but when I checked the banner I used Firefox and the developers tested in IE6, not sure if you used another browser... which I don't, at all, think that's the issue here, but as I said, is a long shot.

Very weird.
    Ricardo Zea
    Web Designer
    www.ricardozea.net