A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: FLV to FLV - How to re-encode?

FLV to FLV - How to re-encode?

I have a client who has eight or nine 3-5 minute video clips that they want converted for their website. I have made these for them in the past and they were fine.

This year, they had someone else do it. Now they contact me and ask if I can re-encode their files. They say there is something wrong with the flv's they have been given - I think it is simply that they are way too large in size for the web - however I have not seen the files yet to be sure.

Anyway, They are going to give me FLV files to convert to FLV of smaller file size.

You can't input flv to flv in CS3 Flash Video Encoder
    Can't bring flv into Premiere timeline....

and even if I can figure out how to re-encode, will it be a huge loss of quality? I've seen FLV to AVI converters on the web - would that take a drastic loss in quality to go from FLV to AVI and back to FLV?

Trying to get an idea of best way to handle this---

thanks!

Before you go to far, you may want to check out what the real problem with these videos is. For example, if they were encoded with a Flash knockoff, there may be encoding problems that would only be magnified if you tried to re-encode. For quality purposes, you should try to get back to the original .avi (or whatever). Test the video by playing it and if possible reading any meta data encoded in it. Here's the code for a simple vid player that will trace any meta data:
    Code:
    // Create a NetConnection object.
    var netConn:NetConnection = new NetConnection();
    // Create a local streaming connection.
    netConn.connect(null);
    // Create a NetStream object and define an onStatus() function.
    var nStream:NetStream = new NetStream(netConn);
    // Attach the NetStream video feed to the Video object.
    my_video.attachVideo(nStream);
    // Set the buffer time.
    nStream.setBufferTime(20);
    // Being playing the FLV file.
    nStream.play("video1.flv");
    // Trace the metadata.
    nStream.onMetaData = function(myMeta) { 
         for (var i in myMeta) { 
              trace(i + ":\t" + myMeta[i]) 
         } 
    };
    In a new Flash doc, drag a new instance of a video onto the stage, give it an instance name of "my_video", and set some dimensions for it. Then add the AS.
    Too large for the Web... what exactly do you mean? On short videos like the ones mentioned, it would typically not be the size of the file that is a problem for use on the Web, but rather the bitrate used to encode. Bitrates of 400kbps to 1000kbps or so, are deliverable over high speed Internet connections. If the video has no other problems except that the bitrate is too high.... 1500kbps or more, that could be a good thing if you try to re-encode because you can afford to lose some of the data when encoding at, say 500kbps.
    To re-encode you could always embed the .flv directly into the timeline in a new Flash document, then "export" that as an avi, then encode back to .flv with Flash encoder. Just be sure not to compress the video when you export from Flash and be sure you set the appropriate video screen size and bitrate when you encode to .flv.
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Adobe premiere can't support flv for import, I know one plug-in which is can import flv into adobe premiere. That is FLV importer plug-in.
    Why not have a try?
    This FLV importer plug-in has wide efficiency in application, supporting On2 VP6 and H.263 video codecs, and RAW, Nellymoser, MP3, ADPCM and RAWLE audio codecs.. And here is a step by step guide about how to download and use it
    http://www.flash-video-soft.com/blog/?p=8
    But it works only for windows vista, xp, 7
    Hope it helps, email me if you need further help.