A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Local connection to control external swf

Question Local connection to control external swf

I want to create the following: Suppose I have 2 swfs open in an HTML doc. The first sfw has 3 buttons: red, green, blue. When I hover over these buttons, I want the words "red", "green", "blue" to appear respectively in the second swf.

I found out that I can use "local connection" to to this, but it's too advanced for me. Can anyone help me out?

I'm using CS4.

Moogalcat,

I can't really go through this step by step with you due to my schedule, but here is a link that should get you going in the right direction.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS3LCR/F...0.0/index.html

Off on the left in "All Class" slide down to LocalConnection. This will give you everything you should need to get your connection up and going. While I've only used LocalConnection in AS2, reading through the AS3 version it doesn't seem like much has changed.

In the examples that they give you would want to use the first one if you are planning on both swf files being on the same server (i.e. your server or LAMP/WAMP/MAMP). The other examples deal with cross domain connections, which is a sandbox violation unless you tell it cross domain access is allowed. Hope that helped.

Mo