dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: spec to give for web

spec to give for web

Hi

I need to give a friend of mine the spec for a 3 minute movie he is producing for my website - I intend to embed the movie myself in the web page, and use a skin so it can viewed full screen

What dimensions / spec should i give to produce to? does the resolution matter as i will want to display full screen?

Thanks for your help

First, determine if the video was shot in HD or standard res. That's because the aspect ratio (width to height) is different for each. HD is 16:9 while standard res is 4:3. So if you want to display a video 400 pixels wide, the video dimensions for HD would be 400 x 225, while standard res would be 400 x 300.
    Second, you'll need to determine what is the maximum bitrate you think most viewers would find acceptable. For example, nobody using dial-up will wait to download a full screen video. But what about DSL at 256kbps... that'll be pretty slow also.
    A good starting point is about 500kbps (kilo bits per second) bitrate for the video. That should download pretty well on a 1.5Mb Internet connection. So the issue is not how big you can make the movie but rather what will be the typical Internet download speed of potential viewers?
    So let's just say that you can create a good quality video at 500 kbps to display on a 400 x 225 video player. Downloads and plays well on 1.5Mb connection and faster. But what if I want to watch this video full screen on my 1680 x 1050 monitor. That would require 19.6 times the incoming date to produce the same quality display. Or 500 x 19.6 = 9.8Mb bitrate. I don't know about you but my Internet connection is nowhere's near that fast (and I have a 6Mb connection!)
    If you want good quality, skip the full screen and render the video at the highest bitrate you think feasible (viewer Internet connection speed, divided by 2, because of other Internet overhead).
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

width=”400″ height=”300″ allowFullScreen” value=”True”

width=”400″ height=”300″ allowFullScreen” value=”True” it is not matter 16:9 or 4:3