A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Any real Zinc alternative for Linux support?

Any real Zinc alternative for Linux support?

Hi all,

Great first post I know but hopefully somebody might be able to offer some help here.

The company I work for produces eLearning products for distribution via CD/DVD-ROM and we need to support PC, Mac and Linux, used in classroom on interactive whiteboards and at home by the students on their PCs.

We've been looking in to Zinc 3 but there seem to be so many issues with reliabilty that I'm not very keen on using it. Air would be great if it wasn't for the whole run-time and app install requirements, I am going to look in to Shu but that's still missing the Linux element. Any suggestions?

Actually if anyone can suggest just a decent, reliable PC/Mac solution that would be great. I've looked at mProjector but I've not had any response on their forum, and Janus' forum is non-functional so I can't even look through that to see how much complaining is going on

Requirements are AS3 support, dynamic window creation, UTF-8 write, external file/application opening.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Cheers,
    Rob
    Last edited by Rob.Shelley; 12-14-2009 at 09:07 AM.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Given the reliability issues with Zinc and spotty support from them and mProjector I'd actually take a HARD look at AIR 2.0 to get solid support across all three platforms. With the Native Process support in AIR 2.0 Adobe has kicked open the door to extending your AIR apps.

Thanks Tim, it's an interesting read, still looks like it's trapped as a bundled installer though, no way to run directly from CD type media. The whole installed run time is a bug bear for me too, after living through the Director Shockwave Projector fiasco I would've thought Macrodobe might have learnt a thing or two, I guess not

Speaking of Director, anyone know when it will properly support AS3 swfs? Never you say, Adobe/AIR conspiracy theories abound?

Cheers,
    Rob