A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Adding things to swfs

Hello, everybody. Sorry to cut in.

I'm writing a CGI that's output is a swf file. Can I put the MIME type (application/x-shockwave-flash) at the top of the output? (This is the only way I know to make the browser recognize that it's flash, since the filename will have .cgi at the end of it.) Will that screw something up? Also, I'm with a free host (yeah, I know, it sucks, but I'm cheap) that requires an ad banner in all CGI output. Is there any way of commenting the banner out?

Thanks for any help you can give me. Sorry again to intrude on your message board.

-QwertyD

If you use Apache as your Web Server, you
    can solve this problem by writting a apache module.

This module should redirect a request like
    http://yourhost/path/special_path/not-exist.swf
    to
    http://yourhost/path/your-cgi-program.

Because this redirecting happend in internal of
    Apache server, so the client still believe it
    recieved a swf file.

Originally posted by qwertyd
    Hello, everybody. Sorry to cut in.

I'm writing a CGI that's output is a swf file. Can I put the MIME type (application/x-shockwave-flash) at the top of the output? (This is the only way I know to make the browser recognize that it's flash, since the filename will have .cgi at the end of it.) Will that screw something up?
    -QwertyD

You're a genius! Thank you!However, is there any way of doing this from a .htaccess file? I'm using a good free host, so I can run my own CGIs and use .htaccess files in my site, but I can't change the server software directly.

Also, will the MIME type of the file actually be sent as "application/x-shockwave-flash"? I know IE will ignore MIME types and proccess files based on their extensions, but Netscape looks at MIME types.

And one other thing, there's still the matter of ad banner code, which has to be somewhere in the cgi output. Does anybody out there, in some corner of the web, know of a way of commenting it out in a swf?

Thanks for all your help, everybody.