A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: It's time to talk about code highlighting

Threaded View

It's time to talk about code highlighting

Last year sometime I requested a "wrap [code] tags" button in the quick reply which after some resistance was kindly added. I'm glad it happened because I've used it a great deal ever since.

The purpose of this thread to discuss (not request) a few finer point along that topic. The reason I say discuss is because I know I'm about to open a sore can worms and understand that somethings simply have good reasons for their existence or lack of it.

What we have available are [code] and [php] tags for wrapping code samples. Both have their benefits and drawbacks. The php tag, while being a little misleading as a heading to its relative code sample (more on that in a sec), has wonderfully colorized syntax but has certain limitations when there is a desire to combine it with other text tags like [bold] or [italic].

Sometimes while answering a code question, I prefer to put the code I fixed in bold so as to better inform the person what changed.

The Code tag on the other hand, allows for this mixed styling but alas lacks colorized syntax.

My purpose is not so much to suggest making either of those accommodate the other as it is to hearken back to a day when we had [as] as an option. If I remember correctly it provided both solutions.

I think its safe to say flashkit isn't going anywhere and that the [as] tag is sorely missed. My goal here is to understand why it no longer exists and what we as a community might do to get it back.

Thank you.

As an aside, the static width of a code block (640px) doesn't seem all that appropriate. I don't see why it cant run the width of the post. Just sayin'

PHP Code:
    Some [B]bold[/Bcode 
    Last edited by jAQUAN; 12-18-2009 at 03:21 PM.