dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Trouble getting my flash files online

Trouble getting my flash files online

Hello there,

I've been working with flash for quite a while but as of late i've all together given up on using it within my website because I just cannot seem to get any flash file to upload.

I use Flash CS3 version 9.0 and Dreamweaver CS3. My flash files always display correctly when I test them in dreamweaver but when I upload them to GoDaddy they always appear blank. I've checked and double checked the paths but nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks when it comes to uploading flash files? Are my files too big? I'd really like to use a little flash here and there or create an intro for my site. I would appreciate any advice

thanks

Well there really shouldn't be any problems uploading a file just because it's Flash. Getting it to display.... well that's another story. As you mentioned, pathing is the number one problem when "it works on my local machine but not on the server".
    My suggestion for this is to use a graphical FTP program like SmartFTP to do all your file uploads/downloads. Everytime you open the program you should see an exact duplicate of the site folder structure that's on your local machine replicated on your server. Because you get that great folder overview, it's very easy to tell if something is out of place, folders or files.
    http://www.smartftp.com/
    So besides pathing issues, there may be missing files. Are you using any javascript (like swfobject, etc.) to display the Flash? any xml files? Have they all been uploaded? and is the path to them correct relative to the location of the Web page on the server, not just on your local machine?
    Then of course there's the code used to place the Flash on the page. Has it been tested in at least a couple different browsers to see that it's good code?
    Since there are so many variable, the best thing to do would be to post a link to the pages with the missing Flash. Then we can apply various methods to test for the "why it's missing".
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

I got it to load up Eye. Thanks.

Well how about sharing how you resolved the problem? It's how we all learn here on the Forum.
    Best wishes,
    EfV