A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash fscommand exec alternative?

Flash fscommand exec alternative?

Hey! I'm been bashing my head in the wall over this for the last days.
    I'm trying to make a movie library application to be used locally (solely by me). I was thinking of making a list of all the movie IMDb links in a textfile and load it in Flash along with a local file path to each movie. But since fscommand exec is such crapp, that won't work. Then I would have to make an insane amount of bat files (out of the question). This is what I've read anyway. So, I have now tried working with VB and C# to make the same project. But the programming is so different from, say AS and PHP, and would take ages to learn. Is there anything similar to AS that could do this?

Or maybe someone has a suggestion to a clever workaround in Flash? But that's a wild one

Thanks

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    If you grab http://www.northcode.com/misc/flashvb.zip you'll have a really old example of how to make Flash and VB talk. It's probably AS1 or AS2 but it works. I also posted some examples here a while back showing how to make Flash and VB talk via ExternalInterface in AS2/AS3 so if you dig a bit you should be able to find it.

That's the most promising thing I've seen so far.

Thanks a bunch

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    It's old so if you need something newer let me know and I'll see what I can come up with. The folks at MindFire Solutions also wrote a whitepaper (back in 2002) on this topic. Here's a link to the PDF version Macromedia Flash and VB: A potent combination.

Thanks dude, but I got it working at last. Had to install VB6 in order to get it working though

You're a genius!