A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Where did you start and where now?

Where did you start and where now?

Those of you out there with a degree what is your official degree title and what do you actually do now?

or those who didn't go to college what did you want to do and what did you actually end up doing?

Mine is "Communications" with a concentration in digital media & a minor in film studies.

I work for an import company that specializes in Indian clothing/decor. I do product photography, print and some web design stuff, also have fallen into network/computer guy as well along with any other special needs stuff that needs to be done. I've been here for almost 6 years but hopefully moving sometime this fall so then who knows...anything really.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

didnt do college. started a company. 3 years later went to Softimage training center for a year. started a second company. worked internationally for different clients. 11 years later Im working for UN but moving soon for better.
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

Studied ‘Documentary Film and Television’ now a ‘Web Developer’. But I only graduated in September.

no college for me

moved to san diego spent a year "finding myself" ran out of money and moved back to massachusetts, now working as a general computer systems person maintain servers, user administration, technical helpdesk, and CRM implementation/customization, phone system support/maintenance.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

2 year college diploma in "Computer Graphics/Multimedia"

I'm the motion graphics manager at an ad agency.

Some basic photoshop knowledge is pretty much all I got from my 2 years in school. Waste 'O time.

Yeah I learned a lot of nothing as far as career skills go at college. I wouldn't take it back though...but they can have the debt back
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    lol,
    some years back, Advanced Diploma of Horticulture (Management)
    ...need an orchard or vineyard designed, analysed, 30 year management plan and costings provided?

Now...soothing the most annoyed, frustrated, sad or angry users of our software and trying to make them all happy (or at least calm)

david
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

Attended only the graphics courses (superpaint and illustrator) in a two year degree offered at community college. Interned at a multimedia company the following summer back in the CDROM / macromedia Director days. Apprenticed at t-shirt company, left it for a pre-press company, left that for a digital cibachrome producer, left that to run a t-shirt design firm with a friend and later bought it from him. Learned flash and Maya in my free time, did a mixture of web and print production with another friend, got bought by an ad agency then hired by one of our clients. Hated and started my own firm where I do design, develope, direct and produce any kind of media with my brother which I still run while working full time for some actionscript legends.

I've only ever wanted to work on video games and everything I've done has contributed to what still may be a career in that. Can't complain.
    Last edited by jAQUAN; 01-14-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN
    I've only ever wanted to work on video games
    Same here. I wanted to go to Full Sail out of highschool but it was too expensive.

I've worked in videogames... ruthless industry. Well... that and I was overseas so I had culture to deal with too.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

BS in computer graphics with a focus on web and interactive media ... graduated circa 1995 (but still took a few coding classes as a grad. non-degree).

Currently the lead web designer for a large company.

Actually, I use the lessons learned in college quite often. Even some of the drafting courses ... especially when asked to create a technical illustration or a 3d render.

BS in marketing. Spent a few years marketing in the tourism industry, then went on to a short stint in Smart Grid technology, then went on to a graphic design position with a golf equipment company, and am now marketing director/graphic designer/web designer/sales guy at a full service musical instrument store.

been pretty lucky to work in jobs that have always held my interest both in position and industry.

oh working at a music store now? That must be great for someone so into music and playing.

Good discounts

Didn't go to university, never got a degree, taught myself everything I know. I now freelance website design/graphic design and lecture at University in....you guessed it, website design and graphic design. I find it ironic that I teach something that can make or break someones degree but I don't have one myself.

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    B.A. in Creative Writing/Philosophy

After teaching karate and waiting tables for 2 years, I took an entry level gig doing some data entry for an e-learning company. Worked there for 4 years, learned Director, Photoshop, After Effects, etc. Went to ad agency where I headed up the new media department for 2 years, worked freelance for a year, once we had kids, I decided to get back to a regular paycheck with health insurance and have been a multimedia/e-learning developer for the past 3 years at a great company...still do a bit of freelancing on the side...

Learned most of my flash programming skills right here...thanks!

hey lefteye, what music store??
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.